Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Should I pitch again??  (Read 2865 times)

Offline KLbrewer

• 1st Kit
Should I pitch again??
« on: June 29, 2011, 09:32:58 pm »
Hello everyone. 

On tuesday I made an all-grain AIPA.  Pitched at 64F using a packet of rehydrated US-05 then placed the fermenter in my tote-cooler with 2 frozen 2L bottles - resulting in temps the next morning of 49F.  I've slowly brought the temp up to 68F, but I see no fermentation activity (i.e. no bubbles in airlock).  I gave the fermentation bucket a good shake to try to wake up the yeast, but it's been 48 hrs with no activity.  Should I pitch another packet of US-05?

Thanks,
KLB
The Dude abides

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Should I pitch again??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 09:53:39 pm »
Yes.  But don't crash the temp this time, and keep the rehydration temp at or slightly below the fermenter temp.  Are you rehydrating just in water, or did you add some GO-FERM?  If you have some yeast nutrients around (like Wyeast brand), you can add them too.  Did you aerate?  Is your yeast new?
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:57:26 pm »
Do you know you don't have activity, just because the airlock is not bubbling, as you are fermenting in a bucket, you could be good to go. Often times the seal around the lid is not good or the seal around the airlock, either of which would let the CO2 out without going through the airlock.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline KLbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:02:23 pm »
Ok, thanks Gordon. I'll re-pitch. Crashing the temp was a mistake - had no idea the cooler I made (idea taken from a thread on this forum) would work so damn well!!  The yeast is about one month old, been sitting in my fridge...should still be good, right?  I added some nutrient originally.  I aerated by allowing cooled wort to pour from kettle into fermenting bucket below, through a strainer - seemed to aerate well.

Enjoyed your book.

Regards,
KLB
The Dude abides

Offline KLbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:03:06 pm »
Do you know you don't have activity, just because the airlock is not bubbling, as you are fermenting in a bucket, you could be good to go. Often times the seal around the lid is not good or the seal around the airlock, either of which would let the CO2 out without going through the airlock.

Should i pull the top and take a look?
The Dude abides

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:44:33 pm »
Oh yes, definitely open it and take a look.  I thought you had visually confirmed it.  I agree, bucket lid seals can leak.

Yeast age/handling, nutrient, aeration -- all fine.  Don't add more nutrient if you already added it.  I don't think two packets of yeast is a bad idea anyway for a bigger beer.  But if it's already started up and you just didn't see it, then let it ride.

Glad you liked the book.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline KLbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:12:26 pm »
Opened it up - no activity at all.  Re-pitched 11g pack of US-05 at 68F.  Gave it a good shake.  WIll slowly drop temps to closer to 62F once I see fermentation activity.  Hopefully it turns out...

Thanks for all the advice.
The Dude abides

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 07:21:40 am »
If you wanna ferment at 62-64 its best to start the yeast out at that temp rather than lowering the temp during fermentation. Some strains can tend to throw diacetyl if forcefully cooled. It can also tend to stall or slow fermentation. I wouldn't lower it much lower than 66 once you have visual confirmation of fermentation.

FWIW I have started US-05 out as low as 56 degrees. It will ferment at cooler temps.

Offline KLbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 09:57:31 pm »
If you wanna ferment at 62-64 its best to start the yeast out at that temp rather than lowering the temp during fermentation. Some strains can tend to throw diacetyl if forcefully cooled. It can also tend to stall or slow fermentation. I wouldn't lower it much lower than 66 once you have visual confirmation of fermentation.

FWIW I have started US-05 out as low as 56 degrees. It will ferment at cooler temps.

Thanks Keith.  It's now bubbling away at 66F, I wont drop it any further, so I think it will be ok. I now know that the tote cooler I built works very well at keeping the fermenter cold...next time i'll keep the temps equalized.   
The Dude abides

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 10:10:28 pm »
Glad to hear it's going. Now go have a Caucasian.  ;)

Offline KLbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 10:21:36 pm »
Glad to hear it's going. Now go have a Caucasian.  ;)

Ha!  Have to wait a few hours...it's only just noon here in Malaysia.
The Dude abides