Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long does it take to carbonate a 5gal cornelius keg of beer?  (Read 122584 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: How long does it take to carbonate a 5gal cornelius keg of beer?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 11:11:32 am »
Lately I've been sugar-priming my kegs. Let them sit for a couple weeks just like bottles. Works great and no worries.

Used to hook up keg every day and put about 40 psi on it. After about a week it should be carbonated depending on the head-space. Less head-space equals longer time to carbonate with that approach.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 11:10:42 am »
I set it to 40psi, and shake every once in a while for two days, then go to style dependant psi, on the fourth day, I'm ususally good. 

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 10:30:39 am »
One reason not to shake carbonate your beer(I don't); from a BYO article:
 "Lastly, homebrewers who keg their beer should be aware that foam positive molecules can get “used up” when foam is created. Thus, if you shake your keg to carbonate it, you may be dipping into your pool of foam makers for your beer."
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 04:27:20 pm »
One reason not to shake carbonate your beer(I don't); from a BYO article:
 "Lastly, homebrewers who keg their beer should be aware that foam positive molecules can get “used up” when foam is created. Thus, if you shake your keg to carbonate it, you may be dipping into your pool of foam makers for your beer."

Palmer and JZ also say this.  I still do it.  And nary a problem with head retention/creation.  Most times I can float a bottle cap onthe head.