Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Frozen beer  (Read 2587 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Frozen beer
« on: June 30, 2011, 02:31:10 pm »
Does freezing hurt beer?  I put a controller on my freezer and apparently it's in Farenheit, not Celsius.  Beercicle anyone?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Frozen beer
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:33:21 pm »
Eisbock! ( or EisPA or EisIPA, or whatever style it is )
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 02:40:03 pm »
It will drop out some flavor compounds and proteins, but it should be fine other than that.  Just wait for it to thaw completely.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 02:47:33 pm »
It will drop out some flavor compounds and proteins, but it should be fine other than that.  Just wait for it to thaw completely.
I have an 8.5% rye pale ale that I had a glass of at 1/2 thawed.  Probably 10%+.  Sort of a barley wine taste to it.  Not terrible but not how it tasted when thawed.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 02:54:22 pm »
You can drink it before it is totally thawed, but it will take something away from the rest of the keg.  If you want to make an eis beer than you should rack it to a new keg and leave the ice behind.
Tom Schmidlin

ccarlson

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 03:25:56 pm »
Just let it thaw and swirl it a little. You'll never know the difference.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 04:06:33 pm »
It should still be good, but you can tell a difference, at least in the beers I've sampled.  A guy I know regularly freezes/thaws his light lagers to smooth them out, and it's noticeable.  He makes some of the cleanest light lagers I've ever tasted.  It could be style dependent though, maybe in a rye PA you can't tell.
Tom Schmidlin

ccarlson

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 04:08:10 pm »
I can't tell the difference and neither can my buddies.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:10:11 pm by ccarlson »

Offline scooter2374

• Cellarman
  • Highlands, NJ
    • Scotty's Homebrew blog
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 04:09:09 pm »
I've had a couple frozen and then thawed out with some but not huge changes to their tastes. I know one was a SA Boston Lager and I thinki the other was a Harpoon but not 100% certain
AHA member since '10

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 04:15:42 pm »
I can't tell the difference and neither can my buddies.
Ok.  :)

I've had a couple frozen and then thawed out with some but not huge changes to their tastes.
This is similar to my experience, different but not massively so.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 07:33:16 pm »
I froze a whole five gallon keg of Kolsch once. I was really concerned about the beer flavor but I thawed it out and carbonated it. It turned out to be really good. It was cloudy for a while but dropped bright after 2-3 weeks.

No worries gmac.  :)
Ron Price

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 07:56:26 pm »
I'll see your cornie and raise you 6.  I had people coming over so I put everything I had into the new freezer to get them nicely chilled for a "sampling".  Froze all 7.  California common, cream ale, rye pale ale (it was the slushiest having more alcohol I think), amber ale, mild, amber lager and light lager.  Seven unique snow cone flavours.

I'm sure they'll be fine but thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease.  I've pulled the plug and I'll play with the temp tomorrow.  Luckily I'm away for a few days so they can drop clear again for when I get back.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 08:05:26 pm »
I'll see your cornie and raise you 6.  I had people coming over so I put everything I had into the new freezer to get them nicely chilled for a "sampling".  Froze all 7.  California common, cream ale, rye pale ale (it was the slushiest having more alcohol I think), amber ale, mild, amber lager and light lager.  Seven unique snow cone flavours.

I'm sure they'll be fine but thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease.  I've pulled the plug and I'll play with the temp tomorrow.  Luckily I'm away for a few days so they can drop clear again for when I get back.

Betcha won't do that again.  ;)
Ron Price

ccarlson

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 08:06:57 pm »

Betcha won't do that again.  ;)

If he's anything like me he will.  :'(

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 11:03:05 pm »

Dang....don't worry about the beer.....but what are you SERVING?
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....