Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Substitute for Maris Otter extract  (Read 12440 times)

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
Substitute for Maris Otter extract
« on: July 01, 2011, 05:21:14 pm »
A brewing buddy of mine recently moved and was only able to tale along enough brewing gear to be able to do extract brews.  He wants to make his favorite AG brown recipe as an extract batch, but it called for Maris Otter malt.  There no longer seems to be a supplier of Maris Otter extract, so is there a brand of extract that gets close or perhaps something he can do to doctor an extract batch to mimic one made with MO?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Substitute for Maris Otter extract
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:27:42 pm »
I'm not really Mr. Extract, but do you still have English-origin pale extracts available?  I would go with one of those first.  If not, then use a domestic pale extract.  You might steep 2 oz of Biscuit malt along with your specialty grains to get some of the flavor.  It won't be the same, but it might be more in the ball park.  In a brown beer, the darker malts are going to be carrying the flavor more anyway.  If it's an English brown recipe, you might see if you can get some brown malt and steep some of that (2-4 oz, maybe).
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 07:01:28 am »
Thanks, Gordon.  Good sugggestions.  I'll pass those along.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 06:14:16 am »
Try a mini mash with a lb or so of victory. That's what a lot of breweries use to mimic MO.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 07:11:57 pm »
Interesting, thanks.  I don't know if he's got any equipment for a mini-mash, but at 1 lb I'm sure he could just use kitchen utensils and cobble something together.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 09:13:08 am »
Biscuit and Victory have similar flavors; I sub them for each other all the time.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 08:30:52 pm »
Yeah, I saw this, but I'm not convinced that it's Marris Otter (but it may be close enough).

Gordon - thanks for the additional tip.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 11:47:10 am »
Interesting, thanks.  I don't know if he's got any equipment for a mini-mash, but at 1 lb I'm sure he could just use kitchen utensils and cobble something together.

If you have a stock pot and a kitchen colander you can mini mash. ;)

Agree, Biscuit and Victory are very close.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 06:29:43 pm »
Indeed, that's how I make starters (well, I use a vegetable steamer)...