Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Monster-in-law  (Read 3945 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Monster-in-law
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 02:45:15 pm »
Manners are not PC.  Rudeness is not cool.

I try to live an easy-going life.  That's kind of the way of things here in Hawaii.  However, one thing that gets under my skin is bad manners - especially intentional rudeness.  I'm getting better at letting rudeness roll of off my back.  I mean it's a matter of letting someone else's actions control how I feel.  Not good.

As a Scout leader one of my areas of teaching is helping my Scouts to have good manners.  One cannot have good manners if one does not know what good manners are.  Then, if one chooses, one may have good manners, or not.
There was an interesting movie a few years ago called Blast From the Past.  It was about a man who was raised by his parents in a fallout shelter.  Some pretty funny stuff.  A quote from that movie that has always stuck with me is one I share with my Scouts,

"...He said, good manners are just a way of showing other people we have respect for them. See, I didn't know that, I thought it was just a way of acting all superior. Oh and you know what else he told me?   ...I thought a 'gentleman' was somebody that owned horses. But it turns out, his short and simple definition of a lady or a gentleman is, someone who always tries to make sure the people around him or her are as comfortable as possible."

But I seem to remember this from a previous post:

After the oncoming traffic cleared, the little canister vacuum cleaner looking hybrid thingy made a left turn.  As I accelerated away I yelled to the driver of the little canister vacuum cleaner looking hybrid thingy, "Hey Moonbeam, learn to use your F-ing turn signals or next time take the F-ing bus!"

Just sayin'

That day I let Moonbeam's actions control my feelings - and, I chose not.  I'm still working on being perfect.  

I know of only one man who was perfect.

It's interesting that you would dig that deep to make a point Jeff.  Perhaps your point is don't justfy bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:53:03 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 03:17:07 pm »

I try to live an easy-going life.  That's kind of the way of things here in Hawaii.  However, one thing that gets under my skin is bad manners - especially intentional rudeness.  I'm getting better at letting rudeness roll of off my back.  I mean it's a matter of letting someone else's actions control how I feel.  Not good.

As a Scout leader one of my areas of teaching is helping my Scouts to have good manners.  One cannot have good manners if one does not know what good manners are.  Then, if one chooses, one may have good manners, or not.
There was an interesting movie a few years ago called Blast From the Past.  It was about a man who was raised by his parents in a fallout shelter.  Some pretty funny stuff.  A quote from that movie that has always stuck with me is one I share with my Scouts,

"...He said, good manners are just a way of showing other people we have respect for them. See, I didn't know that, I thought it was just a way of acting all superior. Oh and you know what else he told me?   ...I thought a 'gentleman' was somebody that owned horses. But it turns out, his short and simple definition of a lady or a gentleman is, someone who always tries to make sure the people around him or her are as comfortable as possible."

After the oncoming traffic cleared, the little canister vacuum cleaner looking hybrid thingy made a left turn.  As I accelerated away I yelled to the driver of the little canister vacuum cleaner looking hybrid thingy, "Hey Moonbeam, learn to use your F-ing turn signals or next time take the F-ing bus!"

Just sayin'

That day I let Moonbeam's actions control my feelings - and, I chose not.  I'm still working on being perfect.  

It's interesting that you would dig that deep to make a point Jeff.  Perhaps your point is don't justfy bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior?

Brewing brothers...let's not go there. Just let it go.

Just come to S.C. and enjoy a little southern hospitality. Manners are still alive here and we constantly fight the rudeness of the imports, but we shall prevail.

Sit a spell...take your shoes off. 
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 03:20:36 pm »

Just sayin'

Not such a stretch, really, to dig up that post.  I remember it well because of the comments it generated.  Stay calm, my friend.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 03:27:31 pm »

Just come to S.C. and enjoy a little southern hospitality. Manners are still alive here and we constantly fight the rudeness of the imports, but we shall prevail.

A good message tubercle, but you realize you are inviting rude imports to come visit, right? ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 03:38:02 pm »

A good message tubercle, but you realize you are inviting rude imports to come visit, right? ;D

I guess so :P

But, after they get a dose of what its like, the world will a better place ;D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

ccarlson

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 03:38:25 pm »
None of us are perfect. Lord knows I'm not.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 03:55:15 pm »
None of us are is perfect. Lord knows I'm not.
Sorry, but I couldn't help it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 04:08:45 pm »
It could go either way in this case, both are acceptable.   :-*  :D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 10:19:26 pm »
Is there a universal set of rules by which we can all live by?   I doubt it.

Do we all act accordingly around the dinner table?  That depends.

Rudeness is subjective. I think we can all agree that respect is admired and earned. I for one hope that I can get the respect that is deserved to me by others.

This case is an embarrassment to the entire family IMO. The MIL acted out in a way that was disrepectful. IMO...and the DIL stepped it up one more notch by making open to the public. What a discrace for all parties involved in this case.

Frankly, I find it entertaining.  :)

Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 10:34:17 pm »
Not such a stretch, really, to dig up that post.  I remember it well because of the comments it generated.  Stay calm, my friend.

Perhaps things may be a bit clearer if the quote you are just sayin' about is viewed in context. 

The comments it generated were in refernce to: Bumper Stickers
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

narvin

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 10:36:36 pm »
To be even clearer, some of the responses in that thread were probably written before others were edited and/or deleted by moderators.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:39:35 pm by narvin »

ccarlson

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 10:38:57 pm »
It could go either way in this case, both are acceptable.   :-*  :D

I have to agree with Jeffy, "none" is singular so "is"  would be correct. Back to me not being perfect, but I try.   ;D

narvin

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 10:43:22 pm »
Grammar is fun!  In my extremely humble opinion, none is plural in this case because it does refer to more than one instance of us.

—Usage note
Since none  has the meanings “not one” and “not any,” some insist that it always be treated as a singular and be followed by a singular verb: The rescue party searched for survivors, but none was found.  However, none  has been used with both singular and plural verbs since the 9th century. When the sense is “not any persons or things” (as in the example above), the plural is more common: … none were found.  Only when none  is clearly intended to mean “not one” or “not any” is it followed by a singular verb: Of all my articles, none has received more acclaim than my latest one.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 07:29:26 pm »
Aaaah, having juggled kids and grand parents and in-laws and outlaws......I agree with whoMever said it....

"It's not so much what you say, it's how you say it."

And when I'm cooking I always ask "Anything you do or do not like or can or cannot eat?"

Thursday friends are coming over. No pork and one vegetarian. No problem.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....