Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pint of Law | A Legal Blog For The Brewing Community  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Pint of Law | A Legal Blog For The Brewing Community
« on: July 01, 2011, 06:51:52 pm »
Gentleman,

A few months ago, I indicated that I would be launching a blog dedicated to discussing legal issues affecting brewing law.  Although there are a few more kinks to work out, I have launched the site.

http://pintoflaw.com

Right now, I plan on focusing on issues affecting commercial brewers and homebrewers in the Upper Midwest (where I live), but over time, I would really like the site to become a helpful resource to brewers all over the U.S.

I am really interested in hearing content ideas, as I have only written a few articles so far.  The blog will focus on timely issues, but it would also be cool to have some general reference material in there as well.  One reference article I will be working on in the coming weeks is an analysis of 26 U.S.C. s 5053(e), the homebrewing exemption statute.

Feel free to let me know what you think.  But remember, the blog is still in its infancy. ;)

Matt

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:55:45 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Pint of Law | A Legal Blog For The Brewing Community
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 07:07:30 pm »
From one homebrewing lawyer to another - I say nice work, man.

You might just blog your way into a new job.

The pint gavel is awesome. Did you come up with that yourself?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:09:13 pm by narcout »
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:26:34 pm »
Thanks, man!

Unfortunately, I can't take credit for the pint gavel.  I recruited one of my brother's friends, who's the art director at a big fancy ad agency in Minneapolis, to come up with a logo image.  I thought it was really clever!

BTW, it would be great to get content ideas from other homebrewing lawyers like yourself!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 07:37:11 pm »
Very nice work Matt!

This is a fantastic resource for the brewing community. I commend you for your very fine effort here.  :)

Thanks!
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 08:44:38 pm »
I await the forthcoming discovery of the home distillation loophole!   ;D

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 10:04:13 pm »
I await the forthcoming discovery of the home distillation loophole!   ;D

+1!

Cool website there PP.  I like the logo and the title too.  You do know you left out an o, yah?   ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:07:19 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 01:45:53 am »
This is great, it's really a service to people.  A guy I know runs a similar blog in Washington, you can check it out for ideas.

http://brewerylaw.com/

Maybe you guys should team up and make a destination site, recruit brewer/lawyers from everywhere to contribute. :)
Tom Schmidlin

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 05:04:52 am »
This is great, it's really a service to people.  A guy I know runs a similar blog in Washington, you can check it out for ideas.

Maybe you guys should team up and make a destination site, recruit brewer/lawyers from everywhere to contribute. :)

It's funny you mention that, Tom.  I actually contacted Doug a few months ago when I was thinking about launching the site!  You have noticed that I have a link to his site under the Blogroll section.  He runs a really nice blog.  Forming a collective would be a cool idea!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 10:26:32 am »
Love the pint gavel, its excellent, it adds a nice light-hearted feel to starkness of the color. My only criticism is the typeface, its very cartoonish, you might want to choose something alittle more serious to reflect the law part of the site, the gavel takes care of the lighter side. Something like Trajan, Garamond, etc might fit the bill or maybe a slab serif like Unit or Chunk Five.

good luck with the site!

Tony
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 12:46:43 pm »
Love the pint gavel, its excellent, it adds a nice light-hearted feel to starkness of the color. My only criticism is the typeface, its very cartoonish, you might want to choose something alittle more serious to reflect the law part of the site, the gavel takes care of the lighter side. Something like Trajan, Garamond, etc might fit the bill or maybe a slab serif like Unit or Chunk Five.

good luck with the site!

Tony

Thanks, Tony!  I appreciate the suggestion on the font.  I'm trying to strike a balance between: 1) legitimate legal blog; and 2) something somewhat lighthearted (the audience is brewers, after all).  I'll give a few other fonts a shot.

edit: I changed the header font to ChunkFive.  I think it looks better.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 12:55:57 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 01:58:17 pm »

It's funny you mention that, Tom.  I actually contacted Doug a few months ago when I was thinking about launching the site!  You have noticed that I have a link to his site under the Blogroll section.  He runs a really nice blog.  Forming a collective would be a cool idea!
I hadn't noticed a link to his blog there, thanks for pointing it out.  I figure you can't be an expert on the laws in all 50 states and every foreign country, while keeping up with new legislation that may be good or bad as well.  Not with having any sort of life at the same time, let alone a job. ;)

Thanks for lending your expertise to the community. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 03:39:30 pm »
Thanks for the link. There's interesting reading there. You have a good writing style. Your prose reads easily. Nicely done.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 02:00:31 pm »

good luck with the site!

Tony

Thanks, Tony!  I appreciate the suggestion on the font.  I'm trying to strike a balance between: 1) legitimate legal blog; and 2) something somewhat lighthearted (the audience is brewers, after all).  I'll give a few other fonts a shot.

edit: I changed the header font to ChunkFive.  I think it looks better.  Thanks again!

My pleasure, and Chunk Five looks great!

cheers!
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."