Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sour Starter ?  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
Sour Starter ?
« on: July 06, 2011, 01:43:05 pm »
Has anyone tried the sour strarter that was in Zymurgy artical "Funk with less Fuss" (March/April 2011). I would like to make a sour beer . This seems easier than going with Brett. Whats the best way to go.         Thanks  Vin
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Sour Starter ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:46:13 pm »
You may find the interview below rather edifying.  They suggest making a sour starter with apple juice.  The reason is in the interview.

March 10, 2011 - Berliner Weisse
Andy Sparks and the Mad Fermentationist, Michael Tonsmeire, share their homebrew Berliner Weisse beers and talk about brewing the nicely tart ales.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-10-11berliner.mp3

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 06:06:09 pm »
It's on my to brew list but I was hoping to hear from someone who did it first. maybe this thread is just the ticket.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 03:17:04 pm »
I did that for a Berliner Weisse.  I made a 2 quart starter with a handful of crushed grain.  I kept it between 100-120F for 3 days.  In the article he mentions that when the pH gets below 4.3 the bad bugs won't grow, so I just acidfied it to pH4 to start with.  Then I pitched it along with a vial of lactobacillus and then the next day German ale yeast.
Cheers
Brew on

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 05:56:52 am »
Thanks for the information so far. Tom what did you use to acidfied the starter, and how did you keep it at the 100-120F for three days.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 09:17:14 pm »
Thanks for the information so far. Tom what did you use to acidfied the starter, and how did you keep it at the 100-120F for three days.
I acidified the starter with lactic acid.  Then I kept the 2 qt Mason jar in a water bath in a crockpot.

The recipe is being brewed by a local brewpub for their seasonal beer and I kept a 5 gallon "starter" in a sink for 3 days with a "bucket heater" controlled by a thermostat.
Brew on