Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Infused sugars?  (Read 3371 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Infused sugars?
« on: July 03, 2011, 03:15:06 pm »
Listening to "the Splendid Table" yesterday and heard a pretty interesting idea - infused sugars. Basically you take something, such as jasmine, and ad it to the sugar and the sugar takes on the flavor of the jasmine. Was thinking this could be a pretty interesting way to add both fermentables and aromas/flavors to the beer. Basically approach it like a secondary feeding of sugar (ie: add sugar once fermentation is basically finished).

Or, maybe it would just be easier to add the jasmine, et al. Still, neat trick methinks. I'm thinking about trying it on a saison I have in the fermenter right now. Orange peel and jasmine.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Infused sugars?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 05:48:53 pm »
Maybe an interesting approach at bottling time.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 05:59:06 pm »
Very interesting idea! I imagine you would want to add a lot of spice per sugar. Someone should try that.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 06:12:32 pm »
1, 2, 3... not it.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 06:40:15 pm »
1, 2, 3... not it.

^ ^ ^ 3, 2, 1 .... not making any sense. Try again.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 01:54:48 pm »
If you use vanilla beans as I sometimes do, put the bean pod in a 1/2 lb of sugar and leave it for a while.  Vanilla sugar.  Awesome on fruit or in deserts.  Not sure about brewing with it but it is great to have on hand.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 03:05:14 pm »
If you use vanilla beans as I sometimes do, put the bean pod in a 1/2 lb of sugar and leave it for a while.  Vanilla sugar.  Awesome on fruit or in deserts.  Not sure about brewing with it but it is great to have on hand.

+1  I always do this.  With what good vanilla beans cost, I'll drag every last bit of of essence out of them. 
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »

+1  I always do this.  With what good vanilla beans cost, I'll drag every last bit of of essence out of them. 

This was my thinking as well. AB puts a pod in with the sugar in a food processor and blends it that way.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 09:53:30 pm »
I'm gonna try it on a beer here soon. I think it is an interesting idea. Might not do a damn thing but it might just bond on a molecular level and make an outstanding beer.

EHalls 3,2,1 nonsense be bloody damned. WTF was that for?  I noticed there was not enough courage to mount an explanation. Too bad... Kind of weak.  ;)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 10:03:31 pm »
I think the explanation is that you said someone should try it and he was saying "not me".  My kids will do that at times.  Last one to say "not it" is "it".  Of course, I'm sure you probably figured this out already...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 10:07:18 pm »
No. I even have a 13 year old and I still didn't get it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:08:59 am by majorvices »

Offline gigatropolis

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 10:48:17 pm »
Maybe an interesting approach at bottling time.

My thoughts exactly.

How much sugar are you talking about adding? Maybe soaking the jasmine in warm/hot honey would do the same type of thing. might be something interesting here  :o

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 05:10:36 pm »
You and your backwoods Alabama ways. I can't believe you've never heard any kids say this (or say it yourself as a youngin' - it's nothing new)  ;D

Anyways, this is really common with vanilla as was mentioned. I've never really thought of it for brewing though - great idea.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 09:02:56 am »
Reminds me of the hop salt Sean Paxton mentioned in his NHC talk.  I want to make some of that!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 07:54:27 am »
You and your backwoods Alabama ways. I can't believe you've never heard any kids say this (or say it yourself as a youngin' - it's nothing new)  ;D

Anyways, this is really common with vanilla as was mentioned. I've never really thought of it for brewing though - great idea.

Glad to see your dancing banana again, tank!  ;)

I was thinking it would be fun to try infusing some sugar with grapefruit rind and adding this to an IIPA with an incremental feeding approach (post fermentation). I fully realize that there's a big possibility that it won't do nothin' but it's a neat gimmick if nothing else.

Hop salt sounds neat, BTW.