Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Raging b!tch  (Read 5869 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Raging b!tch
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2011, 08:17:18 am »
I almost never call their beers by their name, just the style.  I like the APA, I guess.  But yeah, like wine, I wish people wouldn't rely on goofy names or labels to sell their products.  But then again, those are exactly the products that win people's choice awards at festivals.

I guess that's why I always liked Westvleteren beers.  No label.  Just look for the color of the cap.  Badass monks.  Like the ninjas of Belgium.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 08:24:14 am »
Yeah - the APA is a great beer when fresh,  - BTW, I thought they dropped the "Doggie Style" part of the label a while back.  The IPA is pretty decent too, as is the Imperial Porter.  The rest is 'meh'

Funny you say that about Westy, Gordon - just this morning, one of my clients mentioned he is going to Belgium next week and asked what beers should he try - I told him almost anything he can get there will be worth it, but do not leave without trying some of the Westvleterens, to which he asked what the labels look like - and I chuckled and told him 'no label'.  He said, then they must be really good.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 04:53:29 am »
So I'm at the store and spot a few cases of RB. I think to myself, self, that was a tasty beverage last year, maybe I should get a sixer. As I reach forward I spot the price, $12.99 per six...WHAT!!!

I know I was purchasing RB when it first came out for around $8 or it wouldn't have filled my fridge so often. I even went to another location of the same store in a city 3 hours away and the price was $12.99 so it wasn't a mislabeling issue unless they have screwed up the entire chain.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 05:54:29 am »
So I'm at the store and spot a few cases of RB. I think to myself, self, that was a tasty beverage last year, maybe I should get a sixer. As I reach forward I spot the price, $12.99 per six...WHAT!!!

I know I was purchasing RB when it first came out for around $8 or it wouldn't have filled my fridge so often. I even went to another location of the same store in a city 3 hours away and the price was $12.99 so it wasn't a mislabeling issue unless they have screwed up the entire chain.

I dunno, $12,99 for a sixer sounds like a deal to me. Then again, RB costs me 5 eur a bottle here... Only bought it once, didn't really like it.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 07:02:07 am »
Wowser, 5 euro a bottle is a rip. Too often people bring out beers and charge what equates to an exorbitant price and fail to realize if it ain't all that and a bag of chips most folks will be one and done. We have a local "organic" brewery which has a price point $2-$3 a six more than anyone else. There beers are good, solid, but not better than less expensive alternatives, so I purchase other products...YMMV
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 10:22:37 am »
Wowser, 5 euro a bottle is a rip.

I can pick it up for £2.50. 5 Euro's a bit steep for France given that the importer is in Belgium.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/