Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: lagering newbie  (Read 7289 times)

narvin

Re: lagering newbie
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2011, 12:17:13 pm »
I agree that freezers were not designed to cycle on and off frequently.  They are designed more to keep the ambient temperature well below the freezing point and anything below that really doesn't matter.

However, a fridge is designed to keep the ambient temperature within a range, and their compressors are designed to handle frequent on-off cycles.  Think about how many times at 26 cu.ft. fridge's door is opened on a summer day with 5 kids running around.  However, this kind of activity is not common with a freezer.  You usually open that bad bear up once or twice a day and that's it, possibly less.

Normally in modern frost free systems only the freezer has the evap, and the fridge thermostat operates a duct, allowing freezer air to blow into the fridge. The compressor runs until the freezer is satified, the thermostat powering the compressor is only connected to the freezer. If the fridge requires cooling but not the freezer, there's plenty of freezer air to circulate into the fridge after the compressor has turned off. Eventually the cmpressor will start again when the freezer temp gets too high.

If you have a small mini fridge, there's a freezer box on top that stays at freezer temps.  On a wine fridge, they usually have a disclaimer saying something like "Do NOT leave the door open for an extended period of time, or repeatedly open and close the door, as this can shorten the life of the compressor".

ccarlson

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2011, 01:01:28 pm »
I agree that freezers were not designed to cycle on and off frequently.  They are designed more to keep the ambient temperature well below the freezing point and anything below that really doesn't matter.

However, a fridge is designed to keep the ambient temperature within a range, and their compressors are designed to handle frequent on-off cycles.  Think about how many times at 26 cu.ft. fridge's door is opened on a summer day with 5 kids running around.  However, this kind of activity is not common with a freezer.  You usually open that bad bear up once or twice a day and that's it, possibly less.

Normally in modern frost free systems only the freezer has the evap, and the fridge thermostat operates a duct, allowing freezer air to blow into the fridge. The compressor runs until the freezer is satified, the thermostat powering the compressor is only connected to the freezer. If the fridge requires cooling but not the freezer, there's plenty of freezer air to circulate into the fridge after the compressor has turned off. Eventually the cmpressor will start again when the freezer temp gets too high.

If you have a small mini fridge, there's a freezer box on top that stays at freezer temps.  On a wine fridge, they usually have a disclaimer saying something like "Do NOT leave the door open for an extended period of time, or repeatedly open and close the door, as this can shorten the life of the compressor".

Every fridge I've seen does have the evaporator in the freezer, but the thermostat controls the fridge temperature and that's where the probe is located. The fridge may be duct fed, but it's still the primary controlled area. The freezer temp is secondary.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:21:35 pm by ccarlson »

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2011, 02:47:44 pm »
Thanks for all your help guys. 

The beer is carbonated and lager nicely.  I did cheat a little last night and filled a growler to share with a friend.  Right now I would say it's an average beer.  Nothing to spectacular, but the two of us finished the growler off nicely. 

I'll give another month before I bring one into the kegerator.  Gonna try and save the other for NHC in Seattle.  (wish me luck)   

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2011, 07:14:08 pm »
I'm new to this forum, so I don't want to make any enemies, but my lager chest is not frost free and is a top loader, which reaches temperature and holds hit for a real long time - it hardly runs at all for holding a lager temperature between 45-55F.  Maybe it cycles more than if I did things differently, but I have always taped the thermistor to the side of the fermenter at the krausen line wrapped in some bubble wrap.

I don't know the reasoning fully, but the beer is pretty good.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"