Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Noble Pils Recipe (Mash for 15 minutes?)  (Read 6076 times)

Offline boggs6ft7

• 1st Kit
Noble Pils Recipe (Mash for 15 minutes?)
« on: July 04, 2011, 06:51:24 pm »
In the last issue there was a recipe for Sam Adams Noble Pils.

The directions for the mash where as follows:

Mash in at 122 F (50 C) for 10 min.  Raise to 154 F (68 C) for 15 minutes. Raise mash to 170 F. 

I realize highly modified malts will convert quickly, but this seems like a typo.  I was just going to mash for an addtional hour or so.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Noble Pils Recipe (Mash for 15 minutes?)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 07:39:26 am »
I noticed that too, I'm pretty sure its an error. Maybe they meant 45 minutes.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:31:02 am »
When spoken, 50 sounds a lot like 15.

<Mr. Tudball>"Mrs. Hawhiggins, palease take a de letterrr. Mosh fur fifaty meenutes."
[/jokethatmaybeonepersongot]

Offline jill

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 02:24:27 pm »
Hi all,

I had a couple people write in with the same question. I asked Gordon Strong (Zymurgy's technical editor) to take a look, and I'm sharing his response here:

"That's what was in their original recipe. Seemed short to me; my system would need at least 30 minutes at that temperature, but conversion speeds vary.  I'm guessing the difference is that on professional systems, they likely achieve a much more complete grind of the grain so that the starches convert quickly.  On the average homebrew system, that duration is likely too aggressive.  I would extend the 154F rest to 45 minutes to be safe.  The 122F rest is a protein rest; 10 minutes is fine.  The mash out temp (170F) is fine.  The 154F rest is the last saccharification rest, so brewers should always interpret a recipe to include the phrase "or until conversion is complete" on the last rest. That's similar to a food recipe saying "cook until done" after giving a time estimate.  An iodine test can confirm, but most mashes will fully convert in 30-60 minutes at the homebrew level.  So, that's a good catch, and shows a difference between what can be accomplished on a professional system vs. the average homebrew system."

Hope that helps! (And sorry I'm late to the game on this; just got back from vacation).

Jill Redding
Zymurgy Editor-in-Chief

Offline chaz

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:48:00 pm »
Russian River was known (still does I assume?) for their 20 minute mashes so I wouldn't be surprised if that was correct.

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 03:45:28 pm »
also, I wonder how long it takes them to raise temps to mash out?  If if is a long process they would stay in the conversion temperature range for longer then 15 minutes during the rise...
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 03:48:19 pm »
It also takes considerable time to mash in, and the pros often are mixing the grist and water as they go in, so conversion will be taking place on a portion as the mash in progresses.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 02:01:20 pm »
When spoken, 50 sounds a lot like 15.

<Mr. Tudball>"Mrs. Hawhiggins, palease take a de letterrr. Mosh fur fifaty meenutes."
[/jokethatmaybeonepersongot]

Thanks, Mr. Conway.