Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Somersault Clone  (Read 2862 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Somersault Clone
« on: July 05, 2011, 04:36:35 pm »
Well, I'm gonna try and clone the Somersault.  Does anyone have a clue how much and in what form the Ginger and apricot should be?  Those two flavors are just undertones, barely perceptable.  (at least to me)

Any help woould be most aprreciated, here's what it says on their website:

Somersault Ale was designed to be a fun roll around on the tongue while requiring only the minimum of palate gymnastics. In other words, this perfect summer lounge around beer is ridiculously fun and easy to drink. Even though the second Somersault goes down as effortlessly the first, our brewer Grady actually has quite a few remarkable notes at play in the nose, flavor and mouthfeel. There is an opening brace of citrus aroma from Centennial hops, a soft apricot fruitiness tucked into the flavor, a fresh snap from a sliver of ginger root, finished with oats in a long cool mash. Color is blonde with a suggestion of cloudiness. Somersaults all around!
Just the facts Ma'am...

ABV - 5.2%

IBU - 28

Calories - 130

Hops - Centennial- Medium intensity with floral and citrus tones. Very balanced hop, sometimes called a super Cascade.

Malts - Pale, Caramel + Oats

OG - 14.7

TG - 2.03

Fruits/Spice - Ginger and Apricot

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Somersault Clone
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:36:52 pm »
Here's what I came up with using Beersmith.

Please advise........

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
19 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 82.6 %
3 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.0 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.3 %
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 27.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Aroma Steep 10.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 mins) Herb 5 -
1.50 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 6 -

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:54:47 am »
Guess I'm just punchy this morning, feel free to clone what you wish, but I thought Somersault was pretty boring.

At any rate, I've never used Ginger in a traditional beer and 2 oz sounds too high. Definitely 1.5oz of orange peel ain't gonna be subtle in a 10 gallon batch. Looks like you forgot the Apricot, I'd suggest flavoring at packaging to taste.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:27:03 am »
Guess I'm just punchy this morning, feel free to clone what you wish, but I thought Somersault was pretty boring.

At any rate, I've never used Ginger in a traditional beer and 2 oz sounds too high. Definitely 1.5oz of orange peel ain't gonna be subtle in a 10 gallon batch. Looks like you forgot the Apricot, I'd suggest flavoring at packaging to taste.

Yea, I know.  But the cost of turning my garage into a brewery is that sometimes, I don't get to choose the beers I brew.  It's a good trade-off.  LOL

Anyway thanks for the advice.