Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The latest in French brewing  (Read 4993 times)

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
Re: The latest in French brewing
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 02:20:20 am »
This is really cool, and is making me think about hopping on the train to Paris.

It's even hard to get French beer in the UK - people just aren't aware of its existence beyond Kronenbourg (although most think Stella Artois is French as a result of the way it's advertized). There were many raised eyebrows when I started explaining about Biere de Garde to a bunch of local home and craft brewers recently, and even more when I pulled out some examples of the style.

Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 03:07:56 am »
Ali, PM me your mailing address and I'll chronopost you some local stuff.

Heard back from Randy Mosher about the translation, looks like we might try to do something there depending on publishers. Still waiting to hear back from Charlie P. :-)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 12:02:51 pm »
Very cool! Getting the French interested in good beer is an impressive undertaking. It's hard enough with Belgians.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 12:51:42 pm »
The regulations must really be lax there. And you know what? I don't think I've ever seen any French beer at the store.
France has a set of laws in place to protect tiny artisinal wineries that have been quite helpful for nano-brewers, as well.

Fischer and Kronenbourg are pretty common French beers, not that I'd recommend them.

You're correct of course. I even started a topic on 1664 but that's the only frenchie beer I've ever had. How's Fischer?

Sounds like France is the place to be boys.
You can find Jenlain Ambree at Specs I think.  It's a good example of a French biere de garde.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 08:08:54 pm »
It's great to see your devotion and contribution to our craft Phil.  :)

Thanks for posting this interesting news.
Ron Price

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 12:50:52 am »
What about the historic northern French brewing tradition? Have the French forgotten that?

Saison and Bie're de Garde are fine French beers. Likewise, if you expand brewing to include cider, you've got an amazing brewing tradition along the French Atlantic coast (Normandy/Brittany).

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 12:55:56 am »
... you've got an amazing brewing tradition along the French Atlantic coast (Normandy/Brittany).

except that Normandy isn't on the Atlantic, it's on the English Channel (aka La Manche)  ;)
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 02:50:05 am »
What about the historic northern French brewing tradition? Have the French forgotten that?

Saison and Bie're de Garde are fine French beers. Likewise, if you expand brewing to include cider, you've got an amazing brewing tradition along the French Atlantic coast (Normandy/Brittany).

Saison and Biere de Garde are alive and well, but you'd be hard pressed to find an average jacques on the street who would know what those two styles were.

And yes, Normandy and Bretagne have some absolutely amazing ciders. Whenever we make the trip up there I try to buy some cider from one of the local stands. I love that stuff. Puts Strongbow to shame. Shame!
----

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 03:20:25 am »

The Wallonians would like to be part of France, but aren't at this moment in history. (Have been in the past, and may well be again.) Have to call Saison a Belgian.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 03:50:34 am »

The Wallonians would like to be part of France, but aren't at this moment in history. (Have been in the past, and may well be again.) Have to call Saison a Belgian.

People do indeed seem to assume that because the style is in French that it is a French beer. But still, there are many Saisons brewed in France, and many of them are good, sooo... ;-)
----

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 04:06:26 am »
The Wallonians would like to be part of France, but aren't at this moment in history. (Have been in the past, and may well be again.)

I hate to get into politics and semantics, but that's a huge overstatement. I have yet to meet a Walloon who would agree with that statement. IF the country were to split, THEN many would prefer to join France, but many would also prefer to be independent. For now, Walloons are the most fiercely Belgian of the Belgians.

But I do agree: Saison is Belgian.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 04:26:52 am »
Point taken, although the Flemish speakers will tell you THEIR side of the line is the REAL Belgium.... Of course they would join us.....(Dutchman here...... ;) ) Allez.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 05:21:19 am »
Point taken, although the Flemish speakers will tell you THEIR side of the line is the REAL Belgium.... Of course they would join us.....(Dutchman here...... ;) ) Allez.....

Haha... I think the Walloons would join the Netherlands before the Flemish would.

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 07:14:49 pm »
[except that Normandy isn't on the Atlantic, it's on the English Channel (aka La Manche)  ;)

"Fog over Channel, Europe cut off from England . . ." ;P

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 07:17:09 pm »

And here I thought that Belgium was the country that OTHER countries fought over! :/