Author Topic: Habanero/Mango Pale Ale  (Read 873 times)

Offline fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Habanero/Mango Pale Ale
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 12:13:29 PM »
Have you brewed this yet? I assume it's not done but would really like to hear the outcome. Don't forget to update...

This got pushed back. I have three more brews to do for my wedding over the next few weeks then I'm shutting down the brewery for two or three months. I've decided that I need a break from brewing and spend more time with family and do some fishing when the weather breaks and not worry about planning, recipe, yeast, racking, temp control, and kegging for a bit.

But when I come back, this will be one of the first. I'll be sure to let you know... Or you can brew it and let me know  8)
Frank

Offline goschman

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »
Ok cool. I was more curious about the amount of heat from the habanero more than anything. I am planning to do a habanero pineapple wit soon but have not decided on how to add the hab. I am thinking about adding it to the secondary with the fruit.

Offline fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 01:24:35 PM »
Ok cool. I was more curious about the amount of heat from the habanero more than anything. I am planning to do a habanero pineapple wit soon but have not decided on how to add the hab. I am thinking about adding it to the secondary with the fruit.

I would suspend it in it's own bag. That way you can pull it out once you reach your desired heat.
Frank

Offline goschman

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 01:32:41 PM »
Yeah that is probably the best plan however it is hard for me to make any hard judgements from incomplete beers. I appreciate the advice!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 01:48:12 PM »
Added 1 dried chile de arbol per gallon at 5 minutes before flameout. The flavor and heat came through nicely. You might consider a similar approach just for the habs. I added them whole straight into the kettle. Also used bitter orange with it. Phenomenal beer. Mango sounds interesting.

I think the heat fades like hops do though.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline goschman

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »
Just finished up my attempt at a Habanero/Pineapple Wit that I will eventually dry hop with Citra. I seeded, deveined, and finely diced one habanero and added to the boil with 5 minutes remaining. It was not detectable in the hydrometer sample I took. I will taste again before dry hopping and decide if I should add some more post fermentation.

Offline fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 02:04:37 PM »
Just finished up my attempt at a Habanero/Pineapple Wit that I will eventually dry hop with Citra. I seeded, deveined, and finely diced one habanero and added to the boil with 5 minutes remaining. It was not detectable in the hydrometer sample I took. I will taste again before dry hopping and decide if I should add some more post fermentation.

Good to know
Frank

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 03:13:14 PM »
Sounds like one wasn't enough. That's good to know. Also, I'm starting to think that the "heat" fades quickly over a year's time. And perhaps intensity/stability might come from adding to secondary instead?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline goschman

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 03:18:58 PM »
Yeah my fear has always been going overboard. To be honest, I tasted a small piece of the hab about an hour prior to taking the sample. The heat may have still be lingering a bit so it is hard to say if it was really undetectable in the sample. I took one big drink at the end and thought it might be there but I am not sure. I will try to remember to update after tasting again and whether choosing to add more or not.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 03:21:09 PM »
Or in a nylon bag in the keg ? It's my favorite way of adding coffee beans, vanilla beans, etc.. Blatz's method of using teflon tape to tie to the bag is awesome - no worries about getting a seal like when using fishing line. I just like being able to sample and pull the flavoring when it gets exactly where I want it, flavor wise.
Jon H.