Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CAP questions  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
CAP questions
« on: April 24, 2014, 10:12:50 am »
Can I get away with WY2112 for this style? How about using Willamette hops?

I realize that cluster, liberty, or noble, etc. hops and a different yeast would be more appropriate for the style. If not CAP, could I fit it into Premium American Lager? Shooting for IBUs above 30 which may cause stylistic problems with that...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:15:21 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: CAP questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:29:05 am »
I think 2112 and Willamette will work. Might not be as refined as using noble or noble derivative hops, but some old recipes used Styrian Goldings IIRC. I would try and ferment cool to keep the esters down.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:35:18 am »
Thanks! I honestly don't know if I have ever had a commercial version of CAP but it seems like a style that I would like.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:36:44 am »
i use willamette in mine (homegrown) i have never used that yeast though
Don AHA member

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:40:49 am »
Unfortunately, I don't have enough temperature control and WY2112 (or equivalent) seems to be the only choice for temps between 60-65

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 10:45:38 am »
I've used 2112 @ 58F, and if you use a plastic tote with frozen water bottles added to the water, you can get in the ballpark of that. It's a pretty clean strain at those temps.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:46:10 am »
Unfortunately, I don't have enough temperature control and WY2112 (or equivalent) seems to be the only choice for temps between 60-65

I think you'd have a much cleaner beer with 1007 or 1056.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:52:27 am »
I use 2112 a lot. It's a good clean version at 55° to 58°, much above that and it seems like 1056. I'd try to keep it at 55° at least for first two or three days.

Hops wise, when I use Willamette in a lager I get lemon. Some day I will try cascade. They use it in Henry's Private Reserve and seems to be ok.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:54:26 am by klickitat jim »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 11:00:36 am »
I've used 2112 @ 58F, and if you use a plastic tote with frozen water bottles added to the water, you can get in the ballpark of that. It's a pretty clean strain at those temps.

This is my plan. I have a cubical cooler that should fit my fermenter bucket. I will fill it with water and ice to control the temp to the best of my ability.

I am always confused by yeast companies guidelines:
"Temperature Range: 58-68° F (14-20° C)
This strain is particularly well suited for producing California Common-style beers. It retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65°F (18°C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers. This strain is not recommended for cold temperature fermentation."

Although they state this, I apparently should stay away from 60-65F...drives me crazy haha..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:05:22 am by goschman »

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 11:05:06 am »

This is my plan. I have a cubical cooler that should fit my fermenter bucket. I will fill it with water and ice to control the temp to the best of my ability.

Sounds like a good plan to me. That is how I make all of my lagers. I can get the temps down quite low in it, and they hold fairly stable as well. Sounds like you will make a delicious CAP!

Kyle M.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 11:25:01 am »

This strain is particularly well suited for producing California Common-style beers. It retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65°F (18°C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers. This strain is not recommended for cold temperature fermentation."

Although they state this, I apparently should stay away from 60-65F...drives me crazy haha..

It is pretty confusing. But if you pitch and ferment @ 65F, then @ peak krausen you're closer to 72F or so and you'll definitely get more ale-like results. For a CAP, it's better to go cool.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 11:48:53 am »

It is pretty confusing. But if you pitch and ferment @ 65F, then @ peak krausen you're closer to 72F or so and you'll definitely get more ale-like results. For a CAP, it's better to go cool.

When I say 60-65F I mean that would be ferment temp not ambient temp. I realize that fermentation temp is usually about 5 degrees higher than ambient. Is my thinking incorrect?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 12:00:35 pm »
According to Greg Doss from Wyeast, WY2007 stays reasonably clean in the low 60's. I know I've used it at 58F in a hoppy pale lager without an issue. You may be better off giving that a go for a CAP than the 2112.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer