Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wit Recipe  (Read 14765 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Wit Recipe
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2014, 08:57:05 am »
MDixon,

Any thoughts regarding different raw wheat types for use in witbier (e.g. soft white winter, hard red, etc.)?

FWIW, I usually make Mike's recipe using flaked wheat.  For me it's easier to deal with.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2014, 10:33:06 am »
MDixon,

Any thoughts regarding different raw wheat types for use in witbier (e.g. soft white winter, hard red, etc.)?

Not sure you'll get Mike to reply but I use Bulgur which is cracked red wheat from Bob's Red Mill simply because its so much easier to get at the grocery store.  Boil it and mash, seems to work for me.  I doubt the wheat is that critical as long as you're using unmalted wheat. 

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2014, 11:23:54 am »
FWIW, BJCP says unmalted soft winter white wheat is traditional.

I just brewed a wit and didn't realize that unmalted wheat was necessary. I used malted white wheat. Oh well...I guess I am not much a traditionalist...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2014, 11:27:13 am »

I just brewed a wit and didn't realize that unmalted wheat was necessary. I used malted white wheat. Oh well...I guess I am not much a traditionalist...

I make it that way quite often since I usually have wheat malt on hand, but the flaked stuff I have to special order for the recipe.

I can't say I've ever noticed a difference to when I've used flaked.  YMMV.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2014, 01:25:24 pm »
I never noticed that in the guidelines.

I had heard that Belgians use soft wheat. Problem is in Europe 'soft' wheat refers to all our normal varieties and hard refers to durum wheat. I was never sure if it got translated correctly.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958