Author Topic: Malt running low.....  (Read 3235 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
    • View Profile
Re: Malt running low.....
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2011, 03:39:32 PM »
I will also recommend if you have other brewers in the area, investigate asking a local craft brewer to add sacks to his order for you or even talk to one of the distributors.

Some folks I know get 2 pallets delivered to their business (a print shop) and that's how I can get my hands on Maris Otter malt for ~$0.37 / lb.

:o  Nice...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »
Wow. I'm jealous Drew
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 06:43:25 PM »
I will also recommend if you have other brewers in the area, investigate asking a local craft brewer to add sacks to his order for you or even talk to one of the distributors.

Some folks I know get 2 pallets delivered to their business (a print shop) and that's how I can get my hands on Maris Otter malt for ~$0.37 / lb.

Great idea Drew.

Making a contact with a distributor could bring some big savings. Group purchases with you LHBC could also lead to savings.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:47:27 PM by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 06:05:36 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I have an "in" with a local brew pub, but it only gets me Muntons Pale..... Now I have been making IPA, American Brown and Belgian Trappist with that, and they're all decent, but I think I can notch up the quality if I start getting the more correct Ale malt for the Americans and Belgian Pilsner for the Belgians. Also have been buying the German Pilsner for my German Ale at retail, need a big bag of that too.

How does one get a hold of a distributor.....

As far as group purchases, that's a double edged sword. The LHBS is VERY supportive of the Brew Club..... to start a group purchase there would be a bit of a back stab. Quietly getting bulk grain elsewhere and going to them for the specialty grains is OK with me (and them) as I am probably one of the largest consumers in the club.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline blatz

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2011, 06:20:54 AM »

As far as group purchases, that's a double edged sword. The LHBS is VERY supportive of the Brew Club..... to start a group purchase there would be a bit of a back stab. Quietly getting bulk grain elsewhere and going to them for the specialty grains is OK with me (and them) as I am probably one of the largest consumers in the club.

so why not have him organize it and let him mark it up something reasonable for his efforts?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2011, 10:56:17 AM »

so why not have him organize it and let him mark it up something reasonable for his efforts?

He has done this in the past.  Oscar, contact Jason and ask when he is going to do another grain buy.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »
Just got off the 50poundsack web site and talked to LHBS (Josh) on phone. My LHBS prices are lower, especially with the brew club discount. I think I will get some more of the Muntons 2 row from the brew pub and get the pilsners from the LHBS.

Thanks for all the insight.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:09:01 AM by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 08:02:43 PM »
I prefer Best to Weyermann, but I have no qualms using Weyermann.  Best just has a richness that Weyermann doesn't.  I've been digging a blend of Weyermann and Best recently in my lighter lagers - ryan6458 turned me on to that - its good stuff!
Just picked up 2 sacks of Best Pils. Hope it lives up to the hype.  ;)

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 04:26:33 AM »
I prefer Best to Weyermann, but I have no qualms using Weyermann.  Best just has a richness that Weyermann doesn't.  I've been digging a blend of Weyermann and Best recently in my lighter lagers - ryan6458 turned me on to that - its good stuff!

Yoo're going to love it.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 08:08:50 AM »

Yoo're going to love it.  ;)
Looking forward to using it. I need to get more propane this week, but might brew up something next weekend.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 08:44:14 AM »
I just tapped a German pils made with Best pils malt.  As I was drinking one yesterday I was thinking what a great malt character it had.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 08:59:53 AM »
You guys have almost convinced me to try Best after my Weyermann runs out. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »
I just tapped a German pils made with Best pils malt.  As I was drinking one yesterday I was thinking what a great malt character it had.
Thanks Denny. I think you were one of the first people who mentioned the greatness of this malt a while back. You and Kai I believe. Now I finally get to experience it first hand.

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 09:02:47 AM »
Almost?  ;)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2011, 09:04:12 AM »
Almost?  ;)
:)
Whether I do or not depends on how easily I can find it locally.  Oh, and before that it depends on me remembering to look for it when I need more pils. ;D
Tom Schmidlin