Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st Wet Dry Hop of 2011  (Read 6599 times)

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
Re: 1st Wet Dry Hop of 2011
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 10:29:35 am »
I love in the midst of prime hop growing country
Do you live in the area too or do you just drove down for the lovin'?

:)...damn typing....
That means both.  ;D
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 05:22:36 pm »
I gotta wait ten years for hops?!
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 07:29:45 pm »
Are you near the 48th parallel?  If you're between about the top of the US and Dallas, TX, you should be able to water and give them Nitrogen, and get some yield.  1st year, you may not get much, but 2nd year & on, should be good. 

Put them where they'll get the most sunshine, and good drainage.  Actually, there's a ton of good info on the web on how to grow hops.  Where do you live?  Denny is in Oregon, and I'm in NY State, near Syracuse. 

If you're really having trouble, try Cascades, they're about the most robust.
Dave King, President of BIER

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 06:48:26 am »
Wow that looks good. My hops are growing just fine, but no cones yet, except for the chinook. That is one crazy prolific plant.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 08:21:12 am »
I'm in Colorado.  Last year was the first year I tried to grow my own.  I planted two Cascade rhizomes, only one came up.  It was in direct sunshine, but suffered from the heat last summer, so I moved it to a more protected location where it started to thrive.  Then a hailstorm killed it.  :'(

This time I have two Willamettes and two Cascades.  I'm trying to grow them up the trellis underneath my deck.  All four are growing, but I don't think I'm anywhere close to cone production.  In fact the second Cascade just sprouted.  It was doing nothing for a long time.  A friend suggested that I had planted it too deep, so I dug up the rhizome and replanted it about 2" below the surface.  That seems to have done the trick, as I found a sprout yesterday.  :)
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 09:49:53 am »
I gotta wait ten years for hops?!

Nope, you'll get progressively more every year until you get to the point I'm at....you've got more than you want to deal with, you can't use them all, and you can't give them away!  Around here, Cascade hops are like zucchini....everybody grows them and has more than they can use, but you can't find anybody to give them to!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 02:12:45 pm »
I tell ya we should set up a hop trading post around here at the end of every summer.