Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chloramines coming to a city water supply near you...you may already have it.  (Read 14495 times)

Offline microbrewwater.com

• 1st Kit
Cheba: before you dump the beer.... do you have any way of pumping it through a carbon filter?

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
Cheba: before you dump the beer.... do you have any way of pumping it through a carbon filter?

That would strip the chlorine out, but you may also affect the final quality of the beer by exposing it to aeration, contamination, etc.

I had the same issue and thought the same thing, but the hassle to save a 5- or 10-gallon batch with the increased risk of further screwing it up deterred me from attempting it.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
I am using this filter, would it be considered Food Grade or just economical?

http://www.waterfiltersfast.com/KX-Matrikx-Plekx-P10-250-109-096-Activated-Carbon-Filter_p_2045.html

Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
I might be able to hook something up. Hadnt thought of filtering it. Have you or anyone else had good results doing this?
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

• 1st Kit
I just thought it would be a good test...no point in wasting beer! That would be wrong all the way around.

• 1st Kit
Tim KX is a good brand but slow go and it must be a new filter that was sealed to prevent any bacteria issues. Rinse it up  a few minutes with tap water before you use it or you will have black carbon fines in your beer which is also not good
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:38:33 pm by microbrewwater.com »

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
Because of all the waste water I hesitated to get an under-sink RO system but I'm glad I finally did.  The tank isn't big enough for a big batch of light-colored beer but it's not much of a PITA to fill a water jug the day before.

FWIW, I've read the Kmeta works 'almost' instantly.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Because of all the waste water I hesitated to get an under-sink RO system but I'm glad I finally did. 

you can get creative with the waste water.  I am having RO installed in my new home - my filter guy is figuring out a way to either harvest it and use as chiller water or to water my lawn (or both).  of course, you have to have the room for it, but in my case its on an outside wall at the back of the house, so its possible.  just a thought.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
All of this makes me appreciate having a private well. ;)

A-freakin-men!  Not only no chloramines, but absolutely great water.

I'm glad to here some places still have good ground water.  In most areas of Iowa you need to really make sure your water is good and stays good if you want to use your own well.  Farming and lawn runoff has caused a ton of problems in the Mid-West.  I'm not dissing farmers (they're my people) they just didn't know what their practices would cause.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

• 1st Kit
Paul

Do you have a nitrate problem there?

narvin

Isn't that how they make (made) Zima?  :)