Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Re-Pitching Yeast on Bottling Day  (Read 2194 times)

Offline stankonia

• Cellarman
Re-Pitching Yeast on Bottling Day
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:18:19 pm »
This weekend I have a Brown Ale I'm going to bottle. I put it in a secondary a couple weeks ago to add vanilla beans, and cold crashed it when I had to leave town for the weekend and still hadn't gotten a Johnson controller.

So with being in secondary, and cold crashing I want to re-pitch some yeast just to be safe, but I had a couple questions. I used US-05 to ferment with.

How much should I re-pitch?

If I get US-05 I assume re-hydrating would be a must since to make sure it gets mixed in evenly with the beer.

To skip the re-hydrating step, would I be able to pitch a vile of liquid yeast, like WLP001?

Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Re-Pitching Yeast on Bottling Day
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:35:44 pm »
Man, I wouldn't worry about it.  I've lagered beer for months and there was still plenty of yeast left.  If you want to do it, though, I'd use about 1.4 pack of 05.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:00:13 pm »
What Denny said.

If you just depend on the residual yeast the beer will carbonate to *what ever* volume of CO2 (depending on consumable sugars ) in about 2 weeks at room temperature.

If you decide to add extra yeast at bottling time the beer will carbonate to *what ever* volume of CO2 (depending on consumable sugars ) in about 2 weeks at room temperature.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 09:30:36 am »
If you want to do it, though, I'd use about 1.4 pack of 05.

No way, he should use 1.3 packs of 05.  ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.  But why did you pick the 1.4 number?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 09:51:04 am »
If you want to do it, though, I'd use about 1.4 pack of 05.

No way, he should use 1.3 packs of 05.  ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.  But why did you pick the 1.4 number?

Because my typing sucks!  I meant 1/4.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 11:09:37 am »
Haha, of course!  I thought this was some strange mrmalty calculation or something...
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?