Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Something about Tijuana, my city  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
Something about Tijuana, my city
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:34:49 pm »
This is my hometown, my state and i will share something about it
Many years ago was a refugee to americans after the prohibition law, so, they came here to drink, have fun, enterteinment so so
unfortunally,for the past years drug cartels take the streets and change our city.. now its changing a little bit
American people are scared to visit now and trust me, theres a good reason to be that way but not any more

Well, ill be sharing photos and places
Cheers!

the entrance to USA from Tijuana,

The Plaza Monumental and the Faro... the most nortwheast point of Mexico´s territory

I took this picture (another hobbie) this was in my sister´s wedding last year in Las Rocas, in Rosarito south Tj

Another hobbie i have is Fiesta brava photography, this photo is also mine, i took it last year, they put it in a web site with my credit

this photo is at Cesar Hotel and Restaurant, many many years ago was created here in this place world famous dish, The Caesar Salad
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:46:12 pm by Al Equihua »
Al Equihua

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
Re: Something about Tijuana, my city
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 10:41:55 pm »
The last time I was in San Diego, I chose to go to Tecate instead. I was hoping to get a tour of the brewery. No dice. I actually went back a second time. One time it was closed the next was closed for a private function. I made it into the
gift shop though. I did not know the beer was named after the town.

I will try Tijuana next time.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:49:48 pm »
The last time I was in San Diego, I chose to go to Tecate instead. I was hoping to get a tour of the brewery. No dice. I actually went back a second time. One time it was closed the next was closed for a private function. I made it into the
gift shop though. I did not know the beer was named after the town.

I will try Tijuana next time.

ahhh yes, the Tecate brewery, they export the produced beer there to the US actually.. i never been in a tour there but might be good
maybe you can try next time Tijuana Tj Brewery, our first craft beer in town, actually is only the one, we have other but almost home made or with a little production only
Al Equihua

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 10:52:08 pm »
this little bullfight ring is in Cetto wineries in Ensenada, driving 1 hour and half south Tijuana,

ahhhh the Jai Alai palace, the best sport!, i use to play this game, not professiona, just amateur
very exciting,, today is only available for concerts,, no play anymore :(
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:55:15 pm by Al Equihua »
Al Equihua

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:35:17 am »
Nice pics. I would like to eat/stay at that hotel.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

narvin

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 06:27:10 am »
Great pictures!  I was just in San Diego for NHC but obviously didn't have enough time for anything other than beer.  Next time I might take a trip down.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 06:43:23 am »
Many years ago was a refugee to americans after the prohibition law, so, they came here to drink, have fun, enterteinment so so
unfortunally,for the past years drug cartels take the streets and change our city.. now its changing a little bit
American people are scared to visit now and trust me, theres a good reason to be that way but not any more

I have family in ElPaso & Juarez, back in the mid 90s they wouldn't let us travel to Juarez alone as they were finding bodies all the time in the desert. Seems "they" were killing young blond women  from the USA visiting Juarez on day trips, funny thing is that it was never really reported in the USA news.

I haven't been back since then and from what I hear its gotten alot worse along the ElPaso/Juarez border.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 08:10:55 am »
great pics.  thanks for posting.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:11:19 am »
Those are beautiful pictures!!!  Thanks for sharing!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 09:53:53 am »

I haven't been back since then and from what I hear its gotten alot worse along the ElPaso/Juarez border.
I have family in Brownsville, TX, and yes it has gotten worse south of the river.

One of my favorite writers about the Desert South West has done several on the Juarez-El Paso area.
"Down by the River", "Murder City", and "Dreamland".

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=charles+bowden
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 10:41:16 am »
I have family in ElPaso & Juarez, back in the mid 90s they wouldn't let us travel to Juarez alone as they were finding bodies all the time in the desert. Seems "they" were killing young blond women  from the USA visiting Juarez on day trips, funny thing is that it was never really reported in the USA news.

it seems to be a serial killer in Juarez, a guy o a bunch of guys that for some reason to that and the goverment can't control
They were in particular women workers of Mexico but i don't think that includes tourist...
Al Equihua

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 11:39:01 am »
I live fairly close to the Texas-Mexico border and very few people are crossing into Mexico these days. Terrified to do so. Even my neighbor Jose got held-up when he was visiting family and property. They took all his money but for some reason/miracle let him keep his truck and life. He swears he'll only take the bus down there now. He's a citizen but still a Mexicano to the bone.

He said the government has cracked down so hard on the narcos that they are reduced to robbing people to get cash.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 12:28:05 pm »
Mexico looks like a beautiful country, I'd love to backpack through it someday (there's a small chance I might make a quick trip there in September).

Jai Alai is awesome.  I don't know how it works in Mexico, but it's a betting game here.  I used to go a lot when I lived in Fort Lauderdale (I still try to make it everytime I go down there to visit my folks).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 10:14:39 pm »
Used to have a lot of San Diego and Brownsville layovers in the mid 90's. Walked into Tijuana and Matamoros a few times. Wouldn't think of it now.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 05:22:32 am »
I visited Tijuana in 2001. It was a trip I won't forget. While I was glad I went, I really have no desire to go back as it was kind of scary. You just never know what to expect being an American there. I'm sure you are proud of your city and you heritage which is an honorable trait but as you know it can be a little daunting there. I'm sure it has changed some and I hope for the better.
Ron Price