Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation is occurring w/o Krausen formation.  (Read 19933 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
Re: Fermentation is occurring w/o Krausen formation.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 06:15:29 pm »
No hydrometer, no brewing for me. I do prefer a refractometer pre-fermentation however. Someone on the board has a sig: measuring is knowing. It's a must in the brewing game.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 06:58:32 pm »
One Wyeast smack pack or White Labs vial is equivalent to 1 Billion cells.

I think your math is wrong somewhere. If you plug a 1.048 wort into Mr Malty and ask how many vials/smackpacks to pitch it does not say 180, more like 1.8. if a vial is 1 billion and you are saying that 5 gallons of 1.048 wort needs 180,000,000,000 you would need to pitch 180 Frsh vials into it to get your desired level as stated above. Perhaps litres instead of millilitres?
Yes, bad math, wrong spot though.  100 Billion cells per smack pack.

Thanks for the edit Tom.

I corrected my post to reflect 100 billion cells per smack pack or vial of yeast.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 06:58:58 pm »
One fresh Wyeast smack pack or White Labs vial is equivalent to 1 Billion cells.

Absolutely correct!
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 07:37:06 pm »
One fresh Wyeast smack pack or White Labs vial is equivalent to 1 Billion cells.

Absolutely correct!

Well yeah, except where I missed the 1 vs 100 part  :(
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 08:27:51 pm »
My brewing is pretty consistent so I sometimes forget to take a reading. My most important measuring tool is the thermometer though I'd miss the hydrometor.

Funny I was thinking about this thread when I noticed the batch brewed last Sunday was finished apparently on Monday. ???

Then just realized tonight I've just been looking in the wrong fermenter and at the Kolsch that was brewed over a week ago. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 09:45:42 am »
Pitching rate and fermentation characteristics play a large part in head formation and retention in the finished beer, so they might also have a role during fermentation.  her's a great article...

http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 08:25:17 am »
That's funny euge!