Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BeerSmith 2.0 reviews  (Read 11441 times)

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Re: BeerSmith 2.0 reviews
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 12:15:39 pm »
Setting the precision changes the volume from 8.1 to 8.09, but the water/grain ratio is unaffected.  But I use 1.5 qts/lb so it doesn't bother me much.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 05:42:36 am »
Setting the precision changes the volume from 8.1 to 8.09, but the water/grain ratio is unaffected.  But I use 1.5 qts/lb so it doesn't bother me much.

Yeah, that doesn't fix the problem.  I just went back to 1.4 for recipe design until it's fixed.  I'll keep my notes in 2.0 once I've brewed since I already moved all of my information, inventory, etc over.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 09:55:40 am »
So you need increased precision on the ratio.  It will be "rounded".  Is 2 decimal precision adequate for you?
I haven't checked, have you asked for this on the BeerSmith board?
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 10:00:50 am »
So you need increased precision on the ratio.  It will be "rounded".  Is 2 decimal precision adequate for you?

It would be enough for me.  For instance, I want to enter 1.66 qt./lb. and not have it rounded to 1.6 or 1.7.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 10:18:31 am »

That's correct.  2 decimal places would be enough precision for me.  I didn't post it on the Beersmith board because it appeared he was already aware that it was an issue in this thread:  http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,4730.0.html

I just wanted to check to see if I was missing something in the options setup.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 11:24:25 am »
has anyone figured out how to export a recipe as text in the new version (i.e. for purposes of cut/pasting a recipe on a forum, etc.) - its alluding me for some reason.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 01:51:38 pm »
It sounds like a lot of you have chosen to upgrade.  I'm undecided.  I've been a dedicated 1.4 user since I went AG three years ago and I really like it.  I've downloaded a trial of 2.0, and I think I like it.  The new interface is pretty slick, and some of the new features are nice.  I just can't decide if it's nice enough to pony up $20 to upgrade.  Thoughts?

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 01:56:49 pm »
I have no question about it, but you have until the end of August to get the upgrade price.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 03:48:42 pm »

It would be enough for me.  For instance, I want to enter 1.66 qt./lb. and not have it rounded to 1.6 or 1.7.

I set mine to 1.25 and it rounded to 1.3 as i expected, but then it looks like the calculations are using 1.25 since its telling me 12.5 qts for 10lbs of grain.

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 04:42:25 am »

I set mine to 1.25 and it rounded to 1.3 as i expected, but then it looks like the calculations are using 1.25 since its telling me 12.5 qts for 10lbs of grain.

Didn't work for me.  I just tried it again.  If I put in 10 lbs of grain and 1.25 it says use 13 qts.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2011, 03:12:17 pm »
It sounds like a lot of you have chosen to upgrade.  I'm undecided.  I've been a dedicated 1.4 user since I went AG three years ago and I really like it.  I've downloaded a trial of 2.0, and I think I like it.  The new interface is pretty slick, and some of the new features are nice.  I just can't decide if it's nice enough to pony up $20 to upgrade.  Thoughts?

I did upgrade and I've been going back and forth on whether I like it or not.  I think it'll end up being a good upgrade once all the bugs are ironed out.  But in the meantime I've decided to go back to 1.4 for now. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 09:30:17 am »
I did upgrade and I've been going back and forth on whether I like it or not.  I think it'll end up being a good upgrade once all the bugs are ironed out.  But in the meantime I've decided to go back to 1.4 for now. 

Yeah, I think I'm going to stay with 1.4 for now.  It works great for me, and I'm not one to take to change well ;)  Besides, I can spend that $20 on beer!  8)

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2011, 07:13:25 am »
Anyone try the Mac version?  I had heard at least one person say they thought it was "buggy".
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2011, 07:27:17 am »
Anyone try the Mac version?  I had heard at least one person say they thought it was "buggy".
I have it on my macbook, but I'm still more accustomed to promash and am learning this new program slowly.  I haven't seen any "buggy" problems so far and the author seems to be responsive to suggestions.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 10:31:20 am »
I appreciated the test drive of the new version, but I have to admit that I don't really see additional features that I would use or need.  From my view, it seems that many brewing software packages have pretty much what I need in them...pick lists with grain and hops, the ability to amend those lists and items, performs all the gravity, color, and bittering calcs, and allows me to save the recipe files for future reference. 

I can see why the ProMash author hasn't done much on that program, it has everything you need.  The only real change would be in the user interface.  For the BS v1.4 users, I'm not sure that I see an appreciable reason to upgrade.  v 1.4 is pretty good already.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks