Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fish Taco's  (Read 4150 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Fish Taco's
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:21:01 am »
I've got some cod filets that I don't really know what to do with (actually I do but the Mrs. and I are trying to eat healthier so battering and deep frying isn't an option this time).  I was thinking perhaps of trying to make fish tacos.  Is it as simple as it sounds?  Just fry the fish in a frying pan and then add them to the taco shells with lettuce, tomato, salsa etc?  Just figured someone one here would probably know the best way to do it.  Of course, I'll need a beer recommendation to go with that...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Fish Taco's
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 11:43:37 am »
It's supposed to be shredded cabbage, but lettuce will do. And the fish is grilled not fried. However, I wouldn't let fried stop me from eating them... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 11:48:04 am »
Smoke them and then make the tacos . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:52:45 am »
Fish tacos without cabbage just don't cut it IMO.  I actually make a bit of a Mexican kinda slaw to put on them.  I also use corn tortillas, not taco shells.  Mix a bit of mayo with chipotles and lime to put on them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:34:15 pm »
Denny is describing the kind I typically have/make.  Those are the key pieces: corn tortillas (soft), thinly shredded green cabbage, fish (can be grilled, fried or smoked; I've seen them all), and a thin, white sauce.  Cilantro and lime would be good accompaniments.  I don't think tomato is common.  This is what I expect to see in San Diego, and is known as the San Diego or Baja style.

I was out with some people who grew up in the Norfolk, VA area, and they claimed that fish tacos were essentially fish McNuggets on a salad wrapped in a flour tortilla.  I had something like this in a restaurant once; didn't care for it.  But I'd had the San Diego style ones first.

These two types (if that second one really is a type; it seems iffy to me) are completely different.  Try the San Diego one.  Cod should work; I think mahi mahi is more common, but I've seen lots of types used.  Cut them in strips or fingers if frying.  If grilling, I'd probably grill the fillet whole and then separate into natural segments.  But you want the fish in large chunks, not something shredded or minced.

The sauce might be thinned mayo or sour cream or crema. I think it's typically spicy and tart.  Probably lots of variations.

Google fish taco recipes and find something that suits your taste and available ingredients.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 12:45:45 pm »
Google fish taco recipes and find something that suits your taste and available ingredients.

Gordon has great advice.

Google is my go-to resource for any food related activities. It's better than any available cookbook.

I just googled fish tacos and found 10 variations on the first page. It's really a matter of personal taste and choices.

Bobby Flay has a really nice grilled fish taco recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/fish-tacos-video/255.html
Ron Price

Offline WallyGIII

• 1st Kit
    • Crown of the Valley Brewing Society
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 01:00:36 pm »
Living in SoCal, we have baja-style fish tacos all time.  

It took me a long time to figure out what that beautiful white sauce is.  It's Mexican crema.  If you have a latino market nearby, go there and get it, it's worth it.  If not, creme fraiche works just about as well.  Google recipes will tell you some mayo and sour cream mixture with chipotles and crap.  Don't do it.  It's a simple fisherman's dish. Go with the crema.  

Beyond that, I agree with Gordon - go with Soft corn tortillas, shredded cabbage, ciliantro, lime, and crema.  For the fish, beer battered and fried is delicious, but we usually cook white fish on the grill in a foil packet (salt, pepper, and lime slices on the filets) for 10 minutes.  Cod will do fine, though it gets tough fast.  Mahi mahi is great, so are red snapper and tilapia.  

Beer recommendation?  I had gose with mine last week and it was amazing.  Pre-pro lager is also nice, as well as any light lager.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 01:10:00 pm »
Google is my go-to resource for any food related activities. It's better than any available cookbook.
The reason I went with you guys over Google, and I do use Google a lot for food stuff, is that I know you'll give me good advice based on what you like.  With google there's are a recipe but there isnt' always as much feedback on result.  Basically, I trust the AHA a lot more for good advice than I do Google.

Thanks for your thoughts.  No latin stores near here but I've got the corn tortillas, the lime, cilantro and fish.  I'll grill it on the bbq and take it from there.  Sorry all, gonna have to be lettuce instead of cabbage this first time because I'm not running to town for a cabbage.  May not be perfect but the kids won't starve.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 01:16:31 pm »
Personally I like the idea of fish tacos but the traditional and/or typical version has never appealed to me...not a fan of the cabbage and especially the mayo based sauces.  So when I make fish tacos I just make normal tacos, except instead of the usual meat I use grilled fish (seasoned with ground chilies, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper) flaked up in flour tortillas, with the usual accompaniments...cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, salsa, a squeeze of lime.

But that's just me cooking for my own tastes.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 01:25:57 pm »
[Thanks for your thoughts.  No latin stores near here but I've got the corn tortillas, the lime, cilantro and fish.  I'll grill it on the bbq and take it from there.  Sorry all, gonna have to be lettuce instead of cabbage this first time because I'm not running to town for a cabbage.  May not be perfect but the kids won't starve.

OK, so you can use the root side of the lettuce more than the leaf side.  The ribs will give you some of that crunch you get with the cabbage.  Thinly slice it.  You might want to save the leafier parts for a salad.

It's a simple dish, so as long as you're using good quality ingredients and cooking to your tastes, you should be happy.  You can worry about authenticity points later  ;)
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 01:29:39 pm »
Our version of fish tacos is a riff on the SoCal version.  We use homemade corn tortillas (or very fresh, store bought ones) and start by slathering on a small amount of homemade chipotle aioli. Then we add tempura fried cod pieces (haha, cod pieces), finely julienned cucumber sticks, thinly sliced radish, arugula, cilantro, orange zest, and a squeeze of lime juice.  Sounds busy, I know.  But everything really works together.  

We just made these again last night. If I had seen this thread earlier, I would have taken a picture.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:36:10 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 02:33:31 pm »
Mmm fish tacos!! one of my favorites
Well, the famous fish tacos is from a recipe in the city Ensenada's.. just a hour south Tijuana
as they called Baja's Style

Ensenada Fish tacos
1 pound sifted flour
1 tbs salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed pepper
beer (ey, a commercial light beer, coors, bud light not crafted!!)
1/3 cup yellow mustard (simple for hot dog)
1 teaspoon garlic salt
salt to taste

1 1/2 pound of fish fillet without the skin (the best is angelito, or other with soft flavor)

Salsa
3 chopped red tomatoes
1 1/2 finely chopped onion
fresh chopped cilantro leaves
salt and pepper to taste
the juice of lemon
dash of dried oregano

1 cup of sour creamfresh dairy creamor sour crema
shredded fresh cabagge to make the taco (fried fish, salsa, cabbage and cream)
sliced avocado (optional)
drops of lemon for each taco

avocado
Corn Tortillas

In a medium bowl put the dried ingredients except the beer, (while doing this, drink a homebrew) and mix togheter. Put enough beer to make a sauce like you do with pancakes (a little ticker perhaps) refrigerate. Meanwhile, make the fresh salsa, and do the cabbage in a bowl with a little water to avoid that funny smell after minutes.

Preheat a sauté pan with at least 2 inches of oil (canola works fine) with medium -high heat
Cut the fish in 1 inch slices and dip in the flour dip… put in the hot oil and wait to get light brown color

Enjoy !!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 04:08:37 pm by Al Equihua »
Al Equihua

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 03:58:05 pm »
Well, here's how the fish taco experiment played out.  Of the 6 of us, I ate mine and my oldest son at his.  Two of the boys wanted them without the fish, one wanted it without the lettuce and my wife didn't want the wrap so I don't think we can really even count hers as a taco. 
I think I will leave fish taco's until I find myself in the US sometime and see what the authentic version is like. 
Thanks for the help.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 04:09:30 pm »
Kind of late to tha game I guess but I wanted to add that my wife (I don't eat fish) likes hers with a few lightly seasoned black beans as well.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 12:53:44 am »
Shouldn't the San Diego style use sculpin? I kid, but it does make excellent sashimi.