Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Pilsener malt and hot break  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
Pilsener malt and hot break
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:33:53 pm »
OK, I never use Pilsener malt.  Let's just get that out of the way.  I always substitute in pale malt because for a while I've had a lot around.  However, I just made a Kolsch last weekend and I went ahead and used Weyermann Pilsener malt just for fun.  Holy crap did I get some hot break!  My hot breaks are usually subtle, but this was out of control!  Gobs of the stuff were still on the surface when I finished the boil and the chill.  To the point that I was trying to hold it back from the spigot with a spoon when I drained the kettle!  Y'all ever seen this?  I should have taken a picture...
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Pilsener malt and hot break
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:58:08 pm »
yeah, its a huge pot of egg drop soup, isn't it?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 06:57:21 pm »
That's one of the things I like about pilsener malt. That and the taste.  ;)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 07:56:49 am »
Also, if you get a huge hot break that often means your pH is dialed in. If the hot break is minimal then your pH may be off. Pils malt does produce a lot of hot break though.