Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Such a thing as over-pitching?  (Read 14941 times)

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Such a thing as over-pitching?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 05:42:08 pm »
Thanks Keith,  It is fermenting like crazy at a temperature-controlled 48F.  We'll see.
Brew on

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 09:25:11 am »
Tom, that's an interesting technique and not one I have tried before. Sounds like a possibly great combination of simplicity and effectiveness. Please keep us posted how it turns out! If it's a lager, your results should be final just in time for my own personal brewing "season".. thanks!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 09:35:35 am »
That's a method I'd never thought of, Tom.  How long did you wait before siphoning off the trub?  Did you let it get a good kreusen going?
I'm also interested in the results, so please keep us posted.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 11:18:00 am »
Yep, a 1.090 doppelbock.  So I'll let you know in about 6 months.  5 gallons with 2206 and 5 with 2308.

Chilled to 42F and then let it settle until just before bedtime - that day it was about 5-6 hours.  I wanted to transfer before kraeusen because that would get everything moving again.  I just "siphoned" it into another fermenter with some CO2 help.  I lowered the diptube until I got a little trub and then lifted it a bit.  The first fermenter was a Sanke keg.  Kind of opposite to a conical.  She's still bubbling along at day 8.

Disinhibitor!
Brew on

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 11:36:21 am »
Just to add the flipsyde, when I tried this very technique about 5 years ago the effect was like removing half the yeast. The fermenttaion started off fine but slowed to a crawl and never really finished. It was on an Imperial Pilsner. I was too scared to try again.

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 11:34:53 pm »
Is it possible to pitch too much yeast? I know that not pitching enough can stress the yeast but what about vise versa?

It's possible, but hard. Excessive pitching rates can increase acetylaldehyde levels and also possibly increase autolysis rates.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 11:12:34 am »
Just to add the flipsyde, when I tried this very technique about 5 years ago the effect was like removing half the yeast. The fermenttaion started off fine but slowed to a crawl and never really finished. It was on an Imperial Pilsner. I was too scared to try again.
This has been my MO for big beers for years now.  Got a 2nd in the NHC finals for an Old Ale as well as a BOS (in Australia of all places).  Imperial Pilsners, Wee Heavies, and Barleywines have done well too.
YMMV
Brew on

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 02:45:52 am »
Friday I did a quick kit beer (Muntons Premium Imperial Stout), and because I need a quick turn around, I pitched the dry packet of yeast that came with the kit, along with another dry packet of yeast I had from another kit.  I rehydrated them and I pitched it a bit ... OK ... pretty dang warm, ie  86F  :o ) and the thing was bubbling like mad within two hours, but felt pretty warm.

I got the fermenter into a swamp cooler, although I think it took a while to cool down, got it (the water at least) down to about 68 F by the next morning.  The krausen was pretty intense (a 30 liter bucket with 19.25 liters of wort, the rest was krausen).

Sunday morning it is still bubbling a bit, but has slowed considerably.  We'll see how it ends up.  I'm hoping since it is a stout and a low gravity (OG 1.044) that there won't be any flavor consequences from the comedy that was this batch. Maybe the esters that wouldn't be produced from yeast reproduction my be compensated for by the hot fermentation  :-\ . I'm hoping I can bottle by Friday.

If nothing else this may just be one of those "learning experiences"  ::)
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia