Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Freezer condensation  (Read 4845 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Freezer condensation
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:57:12 am »
How do you control the condensation in your keg freezers?  Mine is getting a bit damp inside. 
Thanks

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Freezer condensation
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:04:23 am »
Yup.  DampRid.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:09:44 am »
Of course.  Can't find it in Canada. Did a google search and searched at Home Depot's and Wal-Mart's websites and neither listed it.  Tried the DampRid website store locator.  Nothing within 100 miles of my postal code (nothing came up at all to be honest).  Guess that's something I'll have to try to find next time I'm in the US.  I did see that they will ship but most of the time, when I get something shipped from the US, it costs me 5X in brokerage and shipping fees so it's never worth it.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 11:23:52 am »
Damp rid works but gets expensive after a while these you just keep on using by just plugging them in to recharge them.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=1W1GGIH_en&q=eva-dry+edv+500&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15761192813777479685&sa=X&ei=Dm72TfCVC6bt0gGI_bTtDA&ved=0CHQQ8gIwAQ#

If the link no longer works, just search for Eva Dry dehumidifiers. I haven't bought mine yet, but I will soon. I just set up my keezer. Some guys in my club swear by these.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 12:51:04 pm »
If he can get those easily then I say go for it, but I would need two and I haven't spent $44 on damprid over the last several years combined, more like $15.  But how fast you go through it probably depends a lot on the humidity of your area, the seal on your freezer, and how often you're opening the lid.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 04:01:27 pm »
I've also heard and seen some some folks using fans to help dry out the condensation.
Ron Price

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 09:59:56 pm »
I've also heard and seen some some folks using fans to help dry out the condensation.

I don't see a fan changing the relative humidity in a closed space. You need something to absorb the moisture so you can remove it. There's a lot of moisture that gets thrown off from the fermentation buckets I have in my fermenteezers...... May try damp rid, although just mopping it up once in a while works too. The older one is starting to show some rust though....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 12:25:50 am »
I actually have the Eva Dry product in my keezer....it am not totally impressed by its performance, but I never used damprid so I don't have a good comparison.  It would work better if I had a small fan moving air in the unit.

It does absorb moisture and lasts about a month (the weight difference when you take it out to recharge is noticeable).
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 05:14:41 am »

I don't see a fan changing the relative humidity in a closed space. You need something to absorb the moisture so you can remove it. There's a lot of moisture that gets thrown off from the fermentation buckets I have in my fermenteezers...... May try damp rid, although just mopping it up once in a while works too. The older one is starting to show some rust though....

Yes. I think it's done in conjunction with the use of a desiccant like damp rid. I have no personal experience with the use of a fan but there are reports of it's abiltity to mitigate condensation.
Ron Price

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 09:23:24 am »
No firsthand experience, but I would think that in hot and humid climates (like Florida) the vapor pressure would defeat anything accomplished by a measly computer fan and the hole made to accomodate it..  I would think that one would be better off keeping the keezer airtight and using a dessicant (like DampRid).

I remember an architect who designed surgery centers in Florida (where condensation is a common problem given 99 F and 99% humidity outside, and code-mandated climate of 68-73 F and <50% humidity inside the surgery center) telling me that 8 gallons of water a day can pass through a hole the size of a quarter.

Keep it sealed and airtight.  Dry out the keezer from within.

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 09:45:47 am »
Haven't tried it but I ran across this last year. It suggests using a Sham-Wow to soak up condendation.  Might work?

http://www.winning-homebrew.com/diy.html (Scroll Down)

J.K.L. \m/

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 10:02:27 am »
No firsthand experience, but I would think that in hot and humid climates (like Florida) the vapor pressure would defeat anything accomplished by a measly computer fan and the hole made to accomodate it.
I don't think the object is to cut a hole for the fan, just to circulate the air inside like Ron mentioned.  I know that my kegs are packed in pretty tight in both of my keezers, so circulating the air will help move any moisture around to where the damprid is, plus level out the temperatures.  I might have to add one, but it's not a problem really so ...
Tom Schmidlin

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 10:09:00 am »
I see what you mean by using a fan to improve air circulation within the keezer and direct the condensation to the damprid. 
Still important to keep it airtight, so "no hole" in the keezer is still the best way to go.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 10:18:50 am »
I agree, airtight it really important.  But it's not going to keep out all of the moisture you let in every time you open it, or when you ferment in it.
Tom Schmidlin