Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finally finished my brew cart  (Read 4212 times)

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
Finally finished my brew cart
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:11:11 pm »
I finally finished my brew cart build, and broke it in with a 10-gallon batch of cream ale this past weekend. It's a converted factory cart I got at a surplus yard. I had a friend weld a couple custom drop-in burner frames and add some channel strut for mounting gas pipe, conduit and copper water lines.

The cart holds the hot liquor tank and brew kettle, as well as my March pump. I use a 60-qt Igloo Ice Cube as my mash tun -it sits on a small table next to the cart on brew day. All of the vessels, the pump and the high-temperature hoses (not pictured) are fitted with brass quick-disconnects. It is set up so that I can just connect an extension cord, RV water hose, and propane tank and all the switches and valves I need are on the cart - including two water valves on the mast for filling kettles, and supply to the immersion chiller. There's a third water valve at the bottom for a short garden hose used for clean-up.

All the electrical boxes are "wet-location" type with compression-fitted EMT conduit. There are two switches that switch two outlets in a single-gang box (one for the March pump, a second for a fountain pump used to recirculate ice water for chilling). There's a second single-gang box with two non-switched outlets for other electrical stuff like the drill I use for aerating with a Mix-Stir.

The cart is fitted with 1/2" black pipe, an adjustable regulator, and needle valves to supply the two 70,000 BTU burners. Eventually, I'd like to concert to natural gas - but that will be a while in the future.

What an improvement over the Rube Goldberg setup I used to set up and take down every brew day!

...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Finally finished my brew cart
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:30:38 pm »
looking good
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:38:10 am »
Nice work. 

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:18:38 am »
very nice!
Dan Chisholm

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 10:31:43 am »
It's a thing of beauty.

Very nice work!  :)
Ron Price

jaybeerman

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:05:29 pm »
Looks great and I'm happy for you, but personally I'd rather see a video or at least pics of the Rube Goldberg brew set-up.  :)

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 10:20:02 am »
Pure genius.  I desparately need one of these as I also set up and tear down all my patched together equipment each time.  Needs a mug-holder, though.   ;)
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 11:53:41 am »
I like. Got some more pics?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 12:05:53 pm »
great idea, nice work!
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline jvr1010

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 01:13:04 pm »
That looks nice.  Beats having to walk back and forth to the garage and backyard to set things up.
The three things I love the most...BEER