Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does rye/wheat affect mash efficiency?  (Read 3141 times)

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
Does rye/wheat affect mash efficiency?
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:59:26 pm »
My last 3 beers have been rye/wheat (about 50%) based and I have been getting lower mash efficiency. I haven't changed anything in my system and even did a protein rest at 122F. Anyone have any issues with these grains?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Does rye/wheat affect mash efficiency?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 04:27:11 pm »
This was just discussed on another forum.  The conclusion was that wheat and rye are smaller in size and physically harder to crush than barley malt, so it's likely that they weren't crushed enough.  Could that be the problem for you?
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 04:34:53 pm »
It's funny that you mention that. We actually talked to our homebrew store guys about what we thought were uncrushed grain in these beers. They said that they keep the mill updated to their normal crush size and we've made over 35 beers with them. We knew that they don't have husks and are smaller but for some reason didn't realize that. So I guess the answer is to crush them separately, get them home and crush them again yourself (light blows with a blunt object in our case)? That makes sense. Sorry for the redundancy.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 04:37:09 pm »
As you are not really concerned with husk integretiy you could pop them in the food processor or blender to. A little quicker than the blunt object route. Just don't make flour
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:42:27 pm »
Thanks guys, solves that problem.

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:52:42 pm »
I agree it's most likely the crush but FWIW I just run everything thru my BC and my efficiency is nominal with Rye/Wheat.

But just last weekend I made a Roggenbier with just under 60% Rye and my mash pH was noticably higher than I expected (and higher than Bru'n water predicted by a good amount).  I remember reading on another forum that Rye/Wheat often have this effect on mash pH and could affect efficiency.  Might not be the problem but mentioning it just in case.

EDIT: I just added some lactic acid to bring it down and efficiency was nominal.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 02:12:09 pm »
I agree it's most likely the crush but FWIW I just run everything thru my BC and my efficiency is nominal with Rye/Wheat.

Same here.  I assume that it's because I have the gap on my mill set so far down.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:13:35 pm »

Same here.  I assume that it's because I have the gap on my mill set so far down.

Ditto -- I've had zero problems with efficiency with wheat or rye.  Set your mill good and tight and it's a non-issue.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.