Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: MillerCoors Forced To Pull Products From Retail Outlets In Minnesota  (Read 4263 times)

Offline loopy

• Brewer
Re: MillerCoors Forced To Pull Products From Retail Outlets In Minnesota
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 09:39:15 pm »
All the state parks are shut down and I am not going to a KOA.

Why does the park have to be open to use it?  Isn't the park by definition owned by the people?
So along the same lines as with this shutdown, if you fish without a license because you could not buy a license?  Do you get cited?
If your license plate is expired, and you cannot renew because they are shut down, do you get a ticket?
Do they only exist to tax you, and if so, who cares how long they stay shutdown?  

I think the longer they are shut down the better, because people may see exactly how little they actually provide in "service".

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 08:38:06 am »
All the state parks are shut down and I am not going to a KOA.

Why does the park have to be open to use it?  Isn't the park by definition owned by the people?
So along the same lines as with this shutdown, if you fish without a license because you could not buy a license?  Do you get cited?
If your license plate is expired, and you cannot renew because they are shut down, do you get a ticket?
Do they only exist to tax you, and if so, who cares how long they stay shutdown?  

I think the longer they are shut down the better, because people may see exactly how little they actually provide in "service".

State Parks provide the same invaluable service as libraries - they give to any person an experience commonly left to those with money. The money spent at the parks goes to, among other things, grounds upkeep, electricity and water, cleaning, trail improvements, and flora and fauna management.

I don't know about fishing licenses, but when you buy hunting tags/pay for a hunting license for a season, one of the things you're paying for is a very complex monitoring system that's been put in place to control the population of critters. For an example of what happens when you don't have something like this in place (and enforced), see Buffalo. Oh wait, you can't anymore, unless you're in Wyoming. Know what I mean?

These taxes aren't just there to suck money from people - they serve a purpose. And going back to topic, the state taxes that BMC pay to distribute in each state are an integral (if not absolutely enormous) part of that state's budget.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 09:41:35 am »
Fishing license fees mostly go to conservation efforts concerned with bodies of water and water ways.  They support hatcheries and restocking efforts in lakes and rivers.  In Iowa the fees also cover clinics to teach kids and adults how to fish and be safe while doing so.

I would assume that if you choose to fish without a license and get checked, you will get a ticket based on you knowing the possibility of a shutdown existed and didn't plan ahead.  That's not the DNR's problem.

Vehicle tags are probably a little different.  Although most would fall in the "you could have avoided this problem by renewing earlier" context also.

IMHO, YMMV

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 09:57:57 am »
Fishing without a license could get you a fine.  See here.

I haven't heard about about any incidents regarding vehicle tabs.

It's all pretty much moot now anyway though, since the Governor and the Legislature say they have a deal that will result in an enacted budget in a matter of days.  I'm not sure if MillerCoors has even begun to implement a plan to pull product from retailers shelves.  If they haven't, they should be in the clear now anyway.

Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 10:15:12 am »
For an example of what happens when you don't have something like this in place (and enforced), see Buffalo. Oh wait, you can't anymore, unless you're in Wyoming. Know what I mean?

Actually, they're American Bison. 

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Bison_vs_Buffalo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bison

And they can be found on many private farms and public parks throughout the North American plains, not just Wyoming. 
They're one of my favorite animals.  It is beautiful to watch a herd in a scenic setting.
Nonetheless, I get your point. Parks programs and animal/nature conservation are critical. 
Thank God for TDR and his use of the Forest Reserve Act of 1891 and the Antiquities Act of 1906.  ;)

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Land+as+legacy%3a+20th+century+American+presidents+left+land+as+their...-a0132801743

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 01:46:47 pm »
Last time I spent a night in a MN state park, it cost me over $65...
So much for "they give to any person an experience commonly left to those with money".

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 12:06:48 pm »
So much for "they give to any person an experience commonly left to those with money".

Jeez, that's ridiculous. Were you hauling a camper or something? I've never paid more than $15 for a state park campsite before.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 12:34:38 pm »

You must have paid for a camp site and a four-pack of Surly...
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 10:16:54 am »
Just karma back a millercoors for the law that got past in Wisconsin, which stifles craft brewing.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 01:45:06 pm »
Jeez, that's ridiculous. Were you hauling a camper or something? I've never paid more than $15 for a state park campsite before.

Nope...I was tenting it.
In MN, you buy the MN State Park Vehicle Annual Permit Sticker = $25
Then, you pay for reservation fee = $8.50
Then you pay the amount for whatever site you're reserving...Standard site = $12 to $20 per night.
You want electric?  + $5 per night

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 01:51:37 pm »
well so 25$ of that 65$ was an annual pass, unless you only go once you gotta amortize that. and who needs electricity when camping? kind of defeats the purpose to me. but that's just me.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

jaybeerman

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 02:16:04 pm »
and who needs electricity when camping? kind of defeats the purpose to me. but that's just me.

No there's two of us.  But he uses a tent so you have to give him half credit for that. So two and a half of us

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 02:27:13 pm »
well so 25$ of that 65$ was an annual pass, unless you only go once you gotta amortize that. and who needs electricity when camping? kind of defeats the purpose to me. but that's just me.

Ya...I got out a whole 2 times that year.
One of those times was at a private campground.
So, the $25 is still $25.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:29:30 pm by Kit B »