Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Has anyone brewed with szechuan pepper?  (Read 2900 times)

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
Has anyone brewed with szechuan pepper?
« on: July 12, 2011, 05:14:08 pm »
So this evening, i started seasoning a steak and decided to use some of the szechuan pepper. I forgot all about that spice until now and thought to myself; "Self, what a great spice to use in a beer." My initial thoughts are to use it very gingerly it in a pale ale. Its rather floral and think with the right hop combination and a light enough body, it has some good potential. I can see it working well in a wit, maybe in place of coriander? Thoughts?
Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Has anyone brewed with szechuan pepper?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 06:32:00 pm »
I've often used pink, white, and green peppercorns in Belgian beers, wit especially.  A bit of Szechuan pepper might be interesting.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:35:41 pm »
I've often used pink, white, and green peppercorns in Belgian beers, wit especially.  A bit of Szechuan pepper might be interesting.

What i like about it is it doesn't have the pungency that peppercorns do. And its really not very "spicy", but it creates a tingling sensation in your mouth with lemon and floral overtones and a unique floral nose. its like grains of paradise crossed with coriander and roses. 
Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline ethalacker

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:27:19 pm »
It might be good in a Saison.
BoneHead Brewery
Mableton, GA