Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maple Nut Brown Ale Recipe  (Read 20063 times)

Offline patrickschroeder14

• 1st Kit
Maple Nut Brown Ale Recipe
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:23:06 pm »
Does anyone have a good all grain Maple Nut Brown Ale recipe? The beer I had that inspired me was Tommy Knockers Maple Nut Brown. So anything that gets me close to that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Re: Maple Nut Brown Ale Recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:47:20 pm »
That exact recipe is in the BYO 150 issue , ,
Just brew it...

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 02:35:41 pm »
I prefer doing all-grain. If I can't get a recipe for all-grain, then yes, I will settle for extract.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 02:52:04 pm »
I thought that issue had both.  If not, it shouldn't be hard to convert it.

I'll have to check when I get home.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:01:59 pm »
Thats my fault. When I first read the reply I miss read "exact" for "extract". Thanks for the tip. Since I am new to this, can you point me in the right direction on how to get access to that BYO?

Thanks.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 05:21:17 pm »
I actually have a Maple Nut Brown on tap right now. It's quite good and very sessionable, but I would probably increase the amount of crystal if I did it again, to increase the sweetness a little bit. It's a little higher gravity than a proper "nut brown" at 1.055, but well within the standards of an "American Brown Ale" anyway.

What I made (adapted to 75% efficiency):

8 lb Maris Otter
9 oz Special Roast
8 oz Carastan
5 oz UK Chocolate Malt
4 oz Simpson's Extra Dark Crystal
2 cups Maple Syrup (grade B) at flame-out
1 cup Maple Syrup (grade B) to prime keg

.5 oz Mt. Hood (5.1% AA) FWH
1 oz Mt. Hood (5.1% AA) 90 min

WLP037 Yorkshire Squares Ale

OG 1.055, FG 1.010

Mash at 153 60 min
Fermented around 66F

You could just use another British yeast, since 037 is seasonal. Also, I would increase the amount of crystal by a half pound or so, maybe more. And maybe lighten up on the chocolate by an oz or so to lighten the color (I accidentally used an oz more than I wanted to). Still, this is a very good beer, that I have been preferring time and again to the other one I have on tap, an all-summit IPA that is also quite good (I'm very impressed with the depth of flavor I get from Summit hops).

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 06:17:47 pm »
Since I am new to this, can you point me in the right direction on how to get access to that BYO?
Thanks.

I wouldn't feel right just lifting and posting any of the recipes online . . . Besides, you need to own this issue . . worth every penny!

Here:

http://www.byo.com/store?page=shop.browse&category_id=16

Or any number of online HBSs . . .
Just brew it...

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 05:23:25 pm »
It's also in Beer Captured.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline bigfatjoey

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 06:28:23 pm »
I just did this clone a few months ago. 

Just make sure that you use enough maple for bottling.  I went half maple syrup and half sugar and the maple flavor didn't come though as much as I would have liked.  Still great beer, just not how I imagined it. 
Ol' Edge Brew  -  Brewed and Enjoyed with Friends

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 11:43:43 am »

Just make sure that you use enough maple for bottling.  I went half maple syrup and half sugar and the maple flavor didn't come though as much as I would have liked.  Still great beer, just not how I imagined it. 

Just to make sure I understand . . Did you add the maple at flame out per the recipe or in your bottling bucket with corn sugar?
Just brew it...

Offline bigfatjoey

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 10:38:01 pm »

Just to make sure I understand . . Did you add the maple at flame out per the recipe or in your bottling bucket with corn sugar?

I added in the last 2 mins of the boil per my recipe.  I found out later that if you do that then most of the flavor just blows out.  I also used half a cup for priming my bottling along with half a cup of sugar.  The priming maple is what actually came through in the final beer. 

When I brew this again I will add my first dose of maple during the secondary.  That should help the flavor endure.  I'm no home brew expert, I kinda learn as I go...
Ol' Edge Brew  -  Brewed and Enjoyed with Friends

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 05:40:08 am »
Since I am new to this, can you point me in the right direction on how to get access to that BYO?
Thanks.

I wouldn't feel right just lifting and posting any of the recipes online . . . Besides, you need to own this issue . . worth every penny!

Here:

http://www.byo.com/store?page=shop.browse&category_id=16

Or any number of online HBSs . . .

That's a great resource to have on hand.

Interestingly, the BYO recipe specifics don't match up with Tommyknocker's current site description.  The ABV is way off and the site specs "a blend of European and American hops" while the BYO recipe is just Willamette.  Did the recipe change since publication of the 150 clone brews issue?

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 04:52:10 pm »
Actually, at second look, the recipe n the BYO issue is for the Imperial Nut Brown Ale, not the Maple Nut brown. The Tommyknocker site gives this info . . .

"Imperial Nut Brown Ale, at 9% alcohol by volume, is a bigger, bolder version of our wildly popular Maple Nut Brown. Look for Imperial Nut Brown in 12 oz six packs, at your favorite retailer. 2007 GABF Bronze Medal."
Just brew it...

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 03:56:21 am »
Actually, at second look, the recipe n the BYO issue is for the Imperial Nut Brown Ale, not the Maple Nut brown. The Tommyknocker site gives this info . . .

"Imperial Nut Brown Ale, at 9% alcohol by volume, is a bigger, bolder version of our wildly popular Maple Nut Brown. Look for Imperial Nut Brown in 12 oz six packs, at your favorite retailer. 2007 GABF Bronze Medal."

And if you compare that BYO recipe for the Imperial version to the site, you'll see what I mean; BYO has the recipe ABV clocking in way under 9% and spec just Willamette when the site references the Euro/Am mix.  The hops aren't a huge deal but it unusual for one of those recipes to be so far off on ABV.

I've had the Imperial version but not the Maple Nut Brown.  It sounds like the Imp could be the Maple recipe doubled but I'm not sure...if anyone knows, feedback would be appreciated as I might brew something based off more or less halving the BYO version.