Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Urbana, IL Water Profile  (Read 2056 times)

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
Urbana, IL Water Profile
« on: July 11, 2011, 07:42:18 am »
I recently relocated to Urbana, IL and was wondering if anybody had the specific numbers for the water report here.  As usual, the online water report was not that helpful.  I'm a life-long central IL resident, so I have a good idea of what the water is, but was hoping to get the specifics without spending the $16 for Ward (I'm a tight a$$).  Thanks!

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
Re: Urbana, IL Water Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:16:44 pm »
I have an older Champaign report from Ward, I can't imagine Urbana will be that different since we get our water from the same aquifer.

pH    9.1
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est    204
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm    0.34
Cations / Anions,    me/L       3.2/ 3.7 ppm
Sodium, Na    39
Potassium, K    2
Calcium, Ca    10
Magnesium, Mg    11
Total Hardness, CaCO3   71
Nitrate, NO -N 3   < 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO -S 4   < 1
Chloride, Cl    9
Carbonate, CO 3      22
Bicarbonate, HCO 3   166
Total Alkalinity, CaCO 3   173

Would also be cool if you can make it to the next BUZZ meeting in August :) (http://buzzbrewclub.org) Also, feel free to post more questions on our local forum.

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Urbana, IL Water Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:34:56 pm »
Thanks for the numbers Anthony!!  You're right - it's all the same source - the IL American Water Plant West of town.  If the numbers are different, it can't be all that different.

I've thought about going to BUZZ meetings, but when we lived in Rantoul, it was a real P-I-A.  Now that I'm an Urbana-ite, I might have to.  Step 1: Get brew gear out of boxes!

Thanks again.  I owe you a homebrew or two!