Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bravo and other new-ish hops  (Read 5402 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: bravo and other new-ish hops
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 03:56:30 pm »
Hopsdirect had Calypso for around $9 a pound when I ordered a bunch of other stuff last fall. I figured it was worth a gamble at that price.

indeed.  That's how I ended up trying Mt Rainier, which I now think is a great hop.

I hate to be a 'downer' here, but in the new Hopunion "Hop Variety Handbook" it says "will only be grown through the 2010 season".   One should stock up now if they want some more to brew with.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:37:39 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

jaybeerman

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 09:46:41 am »
I hate to be a 'downer' here, but in the new Hopunion "Hop Variety Handbook" is says "will only be grown through the 2010 season".   One should stock up now if they want some more to brew with.

Mt Rainier, which I now think thought is a great hop  :)

jeff, thankfully there's no shortage of hallertau type varieties.  I did like this mix of fuggles and hallertau character though.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 11:17:24 am »
late to the game, but I did an AAA with all Bravo back when they came out ('08) - I think that richardt's perspective is right on - I didn't care for it as much as some of my brew club friends did, some of which really liked - so much that one asked me recently when I was going to make that again.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 11:45:52 am »
I hate to be a 'downer' here, but in the new Hopunion "Hop Variety Handbook" it says "will only be grown through the 2010 season".   One should stock up now if they want some more to brew with.
Where did you find that? Their web site still has the one I've had forever.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.