General Category > All Grain Brewing

Mash Efficiency

(1/1)

g-s:
When entering mash efficiency numbers on Pro Mash what number should be used the S.G. pre boil or post boil ? To me it should be pre boil because the boil can increase your gravity depending on boil time and evaporation % . Just wondering if I'm doing it right.

Kaiser:

--- Quote from: g-s on December 31, 2009, 10:30:38 AM ---When entering mash efficiency numbers on Pro Mash what number should be used the S.G. pre boil or post boil ? To me it should be pre boil because the boil can increase your gravity depending on boil time and evaporation % . Just wondering if I'm doing it right.

--- End quote ---

It doesn't matter as long as you also enter the appropriate wort volume that goes with the gravity reading. If it doesn't ask you for a volume you need to figure out what volume it is assuming.

Kai

nyakavt:
I find it easiest to use pre-boil volume / gravity.  The post boil works just as well, but it takes into account losses when transferring to the fermenter which you cannot directly enter on that screen.  I think the more valuable piece of information from a process improvement perspective is how much you extracted from the grains, i.e. pre-boil efficiency.

Beertracker:
+1 on it doesn't matter, so long as the volume is correct. I typically enter the 'Measurement Taken in Fermenter' OG but that's just because it's a more precise volume measurment with my system configuration.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version