Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Amber Ale feedback  (Read 5967 times)

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
American Amber Ale feedback
« on: July 13, 2011, 07:47:00 pm »
I was hoping to get some feedback on the American Amber Ale recipe I've been working on. Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!

Art

amber ale
10-B American Amber Ale
Author: art

Size: 5.96 gal
Efficiency: 85%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 183.81 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.055 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 13.46 (10.0 - 17.0)
Alcohol: 5.43% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 39.3 (25.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
8.0 lb Pale Ale Malt
2.0 lb Munich Malt
1.0 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L
0.25 lb Victory® Malt
1.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.25 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
2.0 ea WYeast 1272 American Ale II™

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Mash: 154 °F
Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: American Amber Ale feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:10:23 am »
I would drink it!  One thing I've discovered about amber ales is that they only get better with a low dose of dry hops, so that's something you can consider.  But with or without, go for it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:04:55 am »
I'm sure that beer would be tasty, as is. But it's really more of an APA on the darker side of the SRM range. I would add some chocolate malt, maybe some dark Munich too. You want some darker, maltier flavors in there.  At least, that's how I like my AAAs.

Search for Jamil's Evil Twin recipe; it's pretty much a perfect example of an AAA.  I've got it on tap right now.  8)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:09:52 am by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline gigatropolis

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 08:54:18 am »
I would change the 60 min hop addition to a FWH to get some more of the hop flavor  into the beer.

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 09:01:47 am »
I'm sure that beer would be tasty, as is. But it's really more of an APA on the darker side of the SRM range. I would add some chocolate malt, maybe some dark Munich too. You want some darker, maltier flavors in there.  At least, that's how I like my AAAs.

Search for Jamil's Evil Twin recipe; it's pretty much a perfect example of an AAA.  I've got it on tap right now.  8)

I was toying with adding a little chocolate last night but wasn't sure if it would muck up the flavor profile. Maybe i will do a 10 gallon batch and steep the chocolate on the side and do one with and one without just to see which is better. It will give me a great excuse to brew 10 gallons  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:19:26 am »

I was toying with adding a little chocolate last night but wasn't sure if it would muck up the flavor profile. Maybe i will do a 10 gallon batch and steep the chocolate on the side and do one with and one without just to see which is better. It will give me a great excuse to brew 10 gallons  ;D ;D ;D

I think that's a great idea. Then you can better tailor future recipes to your own tastes.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:54:38 am »

I think that's a great idea. Then you can better tailor future recipes to your own tastes.

I use about 2 oz of chocolate malt in my American Amber and I think it really adds a touch of complexity to the flavour and certainly it adds a nice colour.  I wouldn't make mine without it.  But, if you only want the colour, just add it at the end when you start to lauter.  You'll get a nice colour addition without the flavour but like I said, I really like the flavour.  Mine is simpler, just 2-row, C-45 and chocolate.  I've also subbed out half the chocolate and added C120 in its place and it was nice, more raisin/prune characteristics which I liked but may not be "to style". 

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 11:40:45 am »

I use about 2 oz of chocolate malt in my American Amber and I think it really adds a touch of complexity to the flavour and certainly it adds a nice colour.  I wouldn't make mine without it.  But, if you only want the colour, just add it at the end when you start to lauter.  You'll get a nice colour addition without the flavour but like I said, I really like the flavour.  Mine is simpler, just 2-row, C-45 and chocolate.  I've also subbed out half the chocolate and added C120 in its place and it was nice, more raisin/prune characteristics which I liked but may not be "to style".  
[/quote]

i don't really have experience making recipe but your idea of adding chocolate malt make up for me to make my first amber ale with this adding..!!

cheeeers

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:46:33 am by Al Equihua »
Al Equihua

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 12:44:15 pm »
I would change the 60 min hop addition to a FWH to get some more of the hop flavor  into the beer.

I wouldn't.  Methinks FWH is a slowly dying myth.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 12:59:10 pm »
Looks good.

I like the idea of adding a pinch (1-2oz) of chocolate for some reddish amber color.

I like to aerate the wort prior to pitching to give the yeast plenty of oxygen before they begin their party. I also recommend chilling the beer down to 64F prior to pitching and allowing the beer to rise up to 68F for the duration of the ferment.
Ron Price

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 01:50:31 pm »
I wouldn't go beyond 2 if I wanted it to be an amber.  I've done 100 grams (about 3 oz) and I'd say it was bordering on brown.  SRM was probably something around 18-20 but that is basing it on comparisons to the little colour tabs in the front of Palmer's "How to Brew" so not that exact.  Even 1 oz would be enough to give you a distinct colour. 

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 03:33:31 pm »
I'm a huge fan of carared in amber ales.  Not only does it enhance the color, but I really like the flavor it adds.  Here's my recipe as an example...

#319 Waldo Lake Amber rev3

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal):         5.50    Wort Size (Gal):    5.50
Total Grain (Lbs):       14.25
Anticipated OG:          1.063    Plato:             15.41
Anticipated SRM:          11.8
Anticipated IBU:          42.1
Brewhouse Efficiency:       73 %
Wort Boil Time:             70    Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate:       1.50    Gallons Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size:    7.25    Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity:      1.048    SG          11.84  Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 54.4     7.75 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)              America        1.036      2
 28.1     4.00 lbs. Munich Malt Great Western (2- America        1.035     10
 14.0     2.00 lbs. Carared                       Germany        1.034     20
  3.5     0.50 lbs. Melanoidin Malt                              1.033     35

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1.25 oz.    Cascade                           Whole    6.60   9.5  First WH
  0.70 oz.    Magnum-Domestic                   Whole   14.60  32.6  60 min.
  1.00 oz.    Amarillo                          Whole    9.80   0.0  0 min.

Extras

Amount      Name                           Type      Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1.10 Unit(s)Whirlfloc                      Fining     5 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WY1450PC Denny's Favorite or US-56 Fermentis American Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name:

Total Grain Lbs:   14.25
Total Water Qts:   19.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal:    4.75 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass:   0.13
Grain Temp:        65.00 F

Step   Rest   Start   Stop  Heat     Infuse   Infuse  Infuse
Step Name            Time   Time   Temp    Temp  Type     Temp     Amount  Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sacc                   0     60    153     153   Infuse   170       19.00   1.33
mashout                0     10    164     164   Infuse   212        5.01   1.68

Total Water Qts:           24.01 - After Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal:            6.00 - After Additional Infusions
Total Mash Volume Gal:      7.14 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
All infusion amounts are in Quarts.
All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 04:43:39 pm »
I took the advice of Denny with the Carared for a red ale about a year ago and my wife and I liked it quite a bit.  It didn't last long once I invited some friends over.
Dan Chisholm

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 05:37:40 pm »
I use about 2 oz of chocolate malt in my American Amber and I think it really adds a touch of complexity to the flavour and certainly it adds a nice colour.  I wouldn't make mine without it.  But, if you only want the colour, just add it at the end when you start to lauter.  You'll get a nice colour addition without the flavour but like I said, I really like the flavour.  Mine is simpler, just 2-row, C-45 and chocolate.  I've also subbed out half the chocolate and added C120 in its place and it was nice, more raisin/prune characteristics which I liked but may not be "to style". 
[/quote]

I'm certainly looking for the depth so i think adding it would be a nice benefit. I like the idea of C120, but like you mentioned it may not be to style. I think that would be great in a beer that is more of a sipper. I love the raisin/prune flavors, but they weigh heavy on my pallet.

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 05:43:13 pm »
I'm a huge fan of carared in amber ales.  Not only does it enhance the color, but I really like the flavor it adds.  Here's my recipe as an example...

Thanks very much Denny. That recipe looks great, I'll definitely give it a whirl. I'm not overly familiar with Carared, can you give me an idea of what type of flavors it adds? More malty?