Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DFH 90 Minute Clone  (Read 4591 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
DFH 90 Minute Clone
« on: April 11, 2011, 10:55:09 am »
Anyone brewed the DFH 90 Minute Clone recipe from Brew Your Own a while back?  I was just curious, because they only list 3.15 oz of hops in the kettle.  Does the continuous addition give you more perceived bitterness?  I guess the only way to find out is to brew it!

This is from BYO magazine about the 90 minute clone, was apparently done with help from DogFish

5 gal
OG 1.088 FG 1.021
IBU 90 SRM 13 ABV 8.7%

16.5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.66 amber malt

2.00 oz Amarillo 8% AA 90 - 0 minutes
.62 oz Simcoe 10% AA 90 - 0 minutes
.53 oz Warrior 15% AA 90 - 0 minutes
1.00 oz Amarillo Dry
.50 oz Simcoe Dry
.50 oz Warrior Dry

Irish moss
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread)

Mash @ 122F then raise to 149F until conversion is complete.
Boil wort for 105 Minutes
With 90 minutes left to the boil slowely and evenly start adding hops. (Works out to .25 oz every 7.5 minutes)
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Re: DFH 90 Minute Clone
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:52:14 pm »
Ok, since no one has responded, I figured I let everyone know how this beer progressed.  Brewed this three weeks ago.  I added .17 oz of the hop mixture every five mintues.  Missed the OG and pitched the wrong yeast :P...  Just took a hydro sample, finished really dry, nothing wrong with that to me, but the FG should have been 1.020, it was 1.008.  Color is way off, the "Amber" malt didn't make it amber, it looks more like 60 minute.  It fermented slightly warmer than I wanted it to.  The stick on thermometer read 70 during active fermentation/high krausen.  The sample didn't taste anything like 90 Minute.  But alas, I added the dry hops as indicated and I will report back when it is in the keg and carbed.  As of right now, I would not brew this again, I've made several IPA's of my own creation, that tasted way better than this recipe.  And it was from BYO...  go figure. 

But I will report final tasting notes in a couple weeks, hopefully.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 09:43:06 am »
Thank you for the post. I can't find DFH 90 in my neck of the woods, so I wouldn't be able to check my final. I do have to give Pliny the elder cloning a go one of these days.

BTW, why did you go with pilsner malt as opposed to 2-row malt? Does DFH say they use pilsner?
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 10:32:51 am »
I don't have my recipe on me right now as it is at my brew partners house but that hop bill looked right, but I agree about the grain bill being 2 row and not pilsner. Here's a 2005 quote from an interview with dogfish head brewer Andy Tveekrem: Interviewer: The DFH 90 Min. BYO recipe listed the grain bill as Pilsner and amber malt, whereas a recent Zymurgy 90 min. recipe listed it as pale 2-row and Munich. Which is more accurate? Andy: "Right now it is a bit of both-- 2 row and amber malt." from this page: http://www.brew-monkey.com/articles/interview.php?id=2. So we used 2 row and amber in our clone and it was excellent (amber we toasted 2-row ourselves via Daniels "Designing Great Beers" to get a little darker, although be careful if you toast too much you'll need to let it sit for a couple weeks to mellow.) Also we used the good ol' Wyeast 1056 American Ale. It's super clean so as to allow the hops to own the beer. Whitbread is an interesting choice but isn't that kind of tangy, English Ale yeast?

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 01:35:44 pm »
What's funny is the bottle says clearly, "We use a ridiculous amount of English barley"  which would be Maris Otter.  This recipe called for pilsner, weird.

Oh well, hopefully the dry hopping and a couple more weeks of aging will turn this one around.

I ended up pitching Nottingham, not the US-04 I had for it.  Dryer is better to me though!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"