Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: contamination after bottling  (Read 1567 times)

Offline xdknjx

• 1st Kit
contamination after bottling
« on: July 30, 2011, 08:33:13 pm »
So it's been 1 week since I bottle an american wheat. I looked at some of my bottles and after I invert them, I see some yeast dregs but there also looks like there's a small strain/tail that doesn't dissolve into the beer. I didn't notice this during the bottling process. This is my first batch ever so i'm not sure what to expect, and I was wondering what a contamination would look like? The only thing that I can think as a possible source of contamination during the process is drying off the sanitized bottles on newspaper. Thanks!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: contamination after bottling
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:37:32 am »
It'll be fine. That's probably the yeast still doing their thing with the priming sugar.  An infection would appear near the top of the beer level and possibly leaving a ring that sticks to the inside of the bottle.  Wait another week and enjoy.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: contamination after bottling
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 04:14:15 pm »
Don't worry too much. Other than a ring around the neck of the bottle, there is not much you can diagnose by looking through the bottle.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958