Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pumpkin ale with no pumpkin  (Read 8288 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Pumpkin ale with no pumpkin
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 12:24:55 pm »
A pumpkin ale with no actual pumpkin inside: a paradox? False advertising? The terrorists win? Discuss.

...What I want is something pie-like with cinnamon and clove, which is really what you're getting when you buy a 'pumpkin ale.'

For a holiday spicy brew I'd prefer an apple-pie beer over "pumpkin". I'm not gonna be much help since I view pumpkin beer as an abomination. :P
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 05:05:39 pm »
they are delicious and also cure sea sickness... in theory. My last stint in a J30 proved uneventful, anyway.

Nothing will cure the squirleyness (sp?) of a J30.......

I tried everything..... in the end there is only one solution, for me. Hurl the first day, eat some Knackebröt and get over it. Be good for the rest of the trip.

6000 miles in a Catalina 42 in 4 years most of it off shore, half of it solo.......2005-2009.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 03:28:47 am »
they are delicious and also cure sea sickness... in theory. My last stint in a J30 proved uneventful, anyway.

Nothing will cure the squirleyness (sp?) of a J30.......

I tried everything..... in the end there is only one solution, for me. Hurl the first day, eat some Knackebröt and get over it. Be good for the rest of the trip.

6000 miles in a Catalina 42 in 4 years most of it off shore, half of it solo.......2005-2009.

I am not worthy.

Time to start a sailing thread?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 07:50:48 am »
Sure.....in the Pub.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 11:13:33 am »
Pumpkin beer must have pumpkin.

My last pumpkin ale (a saison) had 9lbs 5oz of pumpkin.  6.5lbs of which was pie pumpkins... skinned, cubed, baked, mashed by hand from the garden.  The other was canned, non-spiced.  All got a heavy dose of oven-time at 350 -- until browned and smelling terrific.

All pumpkin went into the boil with 10min remaining. 
Spices were added at flameout: allspice, coriander, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, peppercorns, ginger, nutmeg.

My best iteration yet.  Will brew this again this fall.  Works fantastically well with saison yeast.

Strain the pumpkin out so it doesn't go in the fermenter.