Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Porter Question  (Read 2068 times)

Offline gogreen437

• Cellarman
Porter Question
« on: July 14, 2011, 09:32:05 am »
I'm going to be brewing a robust porter this weekend and it will be my first all grain using darker grains.  I'm sure this question has come up a ton, but should I add the black patent malt and the chocolate malt towards the end of the mash (like in the last 20 to 10 minutes) or mash it from the being with my base malt and my crystal malt (I'll be using maris otter for the base)?  I know that adding them later will reduce the harshness of the roast character, but is this counterproductive for the style? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Porter Question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:33:10 am »
I know that adding them later will reduce the harshness of the roast character, but is this counterproductive for the style? 

I think that's a question that only you can answer and the only way to know what you think is to try it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

jaybeerman

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:49:19 am »
I think that's a question that only you can answer and the only way to know what you think is to try it.

+1

IMO, this idea is only usefull in certain situations, such as with water profile and/or mash ph issues.  If you find that your porter is too harsh, then you can look to recipe formulation (crystal and roast) and/or your water profile.  Porters that are too harsh will age fairly quickly and become very drinkable. cheers, j

Offline gogreen437

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:55:04 am »
Thanks for the responses!  I think I'll add them all at the beginning this time and go from there. 

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 01:41:48 pm »
Thanks for the responses!  I think I'll add them all at the beginning this time and go from there. 

That's what I do. I don't try fixing problems that haven't occured yet.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 02:00:53 pm »

That's what I do. I don't try fixing problems that haven't occured yet.

I agree Jim...

The only time I would add roast malts late in the mash would be when I'm looking for a color adjustment without any significant chocolate, coffee or roast character, otherwise I will add them at the beginning of the mash.

If it turns out that it's too much roast character, then you'll have somewhat of a baseline to reformulate your recipe.
Ron Price

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 06:49:11 pm »
I think the style has a pretty broad interpretation. Whatever sounds tastier to your palate is what I would go for.