Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hey Carl....  (Read 2545 times)

Offline quest4watneys

• Assistant Brewer
  • Indianapolis, IN
Hey Carl....
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:18:38 pm »
I had this posted in The Pub initially but noticed this category was a little more fitting. Know of any good locations for local brew on Oahu or Kauai? I'll be in your neck of the woods next month and I'm looking forward to some tasty Hawaiian microbrew!
I'm now an official AHA member!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Hey Carl....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:37:59 am »
Oahu:
Kona Brewing Co. has a pub at the Koko Marina in Hawaii Kai (the other side of Diamond Head from Waikiki).  They don't brew there, but they serve draft brewed in their Kona Brewery.  Good stuff!  I'm particularly fond of their Castaway IPA. (KBC's botlled beer is contract brewed on the mainland by Widmer)

Gordon Biersch has a brewpub in the Aloha Tower Marketplace.  Haven't been there so I can't comment on the beer/food.

Sam Choy has a brewpub not far from Gordon Biersch.  Sam Choy makes really good food, but I haven't been to his brewery so I can't comment on his beer.

Kauai:
Waimea Brewing Co. in Waimea...   Haven't been there so I can't comment on the beer/food.

Nani Moon Meadery in Kapa`a.  Haven't been to the meadery.  I've had their mead.  I don't like it.

Not a whole lot of exciting brewpubs in Oahu and Kauai.

Don't waste your money on Primo.  It is junk brewed by Miller.

Maui Brewing Company Big Swell IPA and Coconut Porter both pretty tasty in the can.  Worth looking up at the beer store.

Mehana/Hawaii Nui/Keoki beers are unremakable, which is really a shame cause they're brewed right here in Hilo.  I'd rather drive 110 miles one way to go to the Kona Brewing Co. pub than 10 miles to Mehana's brewery to fill a growler for $7.

The Kona Brewing Co. makes great beer and food!

Next time schedule some time here on Hawaii Island.  As we say here, "Big Island mo bettah!"

Enjoy your visit!

With aloha,
Carl

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:53:48 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline quest4watneys

• Assistant Brewer
  • Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 06:52:43 pm »
Mahalo nui loa! I look forward to sampling some local brew. My wife and I went to Kauai a couple of years ago and hiked out to the Napali coast and IMHO, it should be added as another wonder of the world. We'll definitely return again, in fact, I'd like to sell all of my worldly possessions (except the brewing equipment :)) and move there when I retire! And The Big Island is at the top of the bucket list!
I'm now an official AHA member!

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:24:34 am »
Carl,
Speaking of the Big Island..... We're headed there next month. We're staying at a timeshare (Worldmark) near Kona. I think I'll have alot of time. The others are visiting a horse ranch, ziplining and other touristy things. I want to visit to the coffee place and volcanoes. I know the Kona Brewery isn't too far away. Any other watering holes and interesting POIs? 

After a week there, we're going to Waikiki for a few days. I don't recall the name, but I remember going to a brewpub near the towers back in 2003.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Bruce

Offline punatic

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 04:59:21 pm »
Kona Brewing Co. pub in Kailua Kona is a must.  Excellent beer and food.  Huggo's is right on the ocean and a pretty cool place for sunset food & drinks.  It's all pretty touristy in Kona.  

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is a cannot miss item for Hawaii Island.  It is my favorite place in the world.  I spend a lot of time hiking and photographing the volcanoes. Kilauea is erupting. This eruption started in 1983. There is no lava flowing where one can walk up close to it at this time.  The only way to see lava directly is by helicopter or on HVO webcams, but that could change at any time.  Read the daily Kilauea Update here. Even though you can't get right up next to flowing lava at this time there is a ton of cool stuff to see in the park.  

The National Park is about a 90 mile drive from Kona, but it is an awesome drive with lots of things to see and do along the way. DO NOT MISS IT!

My favorite coffee farm is Holualoa Coffee Company at Kona Lea Plantation up on the side of Hualalai above Kona.  They have tours and tasting Monday thru Fridays.  You need to keep an eye out for their sign on the winding road up there in Holualoa.  Well worth a trip up to see.

If you get to Hilo there is a restaurant right on Hilo Bay near Banyon Dr. called Nihon.  Japanese food.  Very local place.  They have good sushi/sashimi and Unibroue beers in the bottle.  As well as a good sake selection. They make very yummy shave ice too. But the real clincher is sitting out on the lanai watching the sunset across Hilo Bay behind Mauna Kea.  Great sunsets from the east side of the island!  How can that be?  Hawaii!

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 12:44:43 pm »
Thanks Carl! You've given me some great information. Can almost taste the coffee now. The volcano sounds facinating. I know I'll be checking the out. I wanted to when we stopped there (Hilo) on a cruise ship, but got out voted.

I'm sure I'll be at the brewery and Huggos a few times during the week. The Japaneze restaurant might fit in very nicely as one of the people we're meeting is a former exchange student from Japan (another from S Korea). Should be fun.

One other thing, we'll have some first timers to Hawaii that want to go to a Luau, not that I don't. Any recommendations?

Drop me an email if you want to try to meet for a brew. Like I said, I think I'll have time on my hands...

Thanks again!

Bruce

Offline punatic

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 11:12:15 am »
Can't really help much on the Luau front.  A good source of visitor info is the guidebook, The Big Island Revealed   They might be able to direct you to a good one.

When you get close to coming over, shoot me a PM and we'll see if we can get together for a beer or two.

AHA Life Member #33907