Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My first successfull AG mash!  (Read 3214 times)

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
My first successfull AG mash!
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:08:20 am »
I have been noob-ing with my mashes up to this point. This time i did my first all grain mash on the stove. I used a steel tun and wrapped it in towels. My mash temp only dropped by two degrees the entire hour. Batch sparged in the same vessel.

Interesting note, however, for those who might try this. Recirculating is difficult without HSA when using a colander as the strainer for the grain. What i did was to use a smaller wire strainer and remove the grain from the wort and added the grain to the colander. I set the colander over a shallow bowl so the wort wouldn't splash as it went through the grain. Then i scooped out the wort with a measuring cup and slowly poured it over the grain in the colander. Did the exact same thing with the batch sparge. Got nice clarity after this.

Mash efficiency: 29.4 ! whohoo (1.050 OG, 5 gallons exactly, 8.5 lbs grain)

This is all thanks to the 3rd ed of How To Brew. Very awesome book. :)
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
Re: My first successfull AG mash!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:15:19 am »
You might want to double check your math.

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 01:31:26 pm »
Congrats on the 1st all-grain batch and your ingenuity sparging. I think your batch efficiency is incorrect. But, the OG counts for a lot.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

narvin

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 02:32:26 pm »

I assume that is points/pound/gallon...

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 07:14:44 pm »
I assume that is points/pound/gallon...
Oh, I get it now!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 07:48:12 pm »
Efficiency is usually expressed in percent, so you got around 80%.  Very respectable.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 08:26:08 pm »
Efficiency is usually expressed in percent, so you got around 80%.  Very respectable.

Not too shabby for the first try.

Beginners luck is a wonderful thing.  ;D jk

Congrats astrivian!  :)
Ron Price

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 07:56:33 pm »
You have a colander that will hold 8.5# of grain?  That's a big colander!  How did you support it in the bowl?  And by the way that's a big bowl, too!
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 09:56:11 pm »
You have a colander that will hold 8.5# of grain?  That's a big colander!  How did you support it in the bowl?  And by the way that's a big bowl, too!

ah. yes. i was wondering if someone would notice that. No, my colander does not, in fact, hold all 8.5 pounds of grain. The most it can seem to muster is 5 pounds. So as the grain forms a huge pile, i scoop it off and add it to a second bowl, the add more "fresh" grain from the tun.

aaaand yes the bowl will only hold one gallon of wort. So what i did was use a long siphon tube to siphon the hot wort into the boiling bucket (which is 8 gallon capacity) so as to not HSA it. I kept doing this every time the little bucket filled up. Good catch. Worked out well though. Nice clarity in the end.

Yes, the calc was ppg. 50 points X 5 gallons / 8.5 pounds = 29.411.  How did you get that into a percentage?

1.050 was not a bad based for a simple beer....oh, see, then i added 8 lbs LME and 1 lb DME to kick the OG to 1.110 (NIIICE).  If all goes well, the abv of this Belgain Style Summer Ale should be 11.2%. That will relax you at the end of a hot summer day (might want to keep a glass of water handy as well).

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 04:37:16 am »
Yes, the calc was ppg. 50 points X 5 gallons / 8.5 pounds = 29.411.  How did you get that into a percentage?
The typical potential of a pound of malt is 36-37 points per pound per gallon, depending on the malt.
 29.4/36 *100%= 82% for an average grain bill or 79% if you used all high potential base malt.

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 01:01:10 pm »
Oh wait i think i know what we are talking about here. This is the "brewhouse efficiency" right? 36 ppg is in lab conditions isn't it?