Author Topic: Ben, aka "theantipunk"  (Read 9896 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
    • View Profile
Ben, aka "theantipunk"
« on: October 13, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
Who Are You Ben Wilder
Home Town (City, State): Colorado Springs, Colorado

Homebrew Club: Been flirting with the Brew Brothers, but not yet a dues-paying member

I've been a homebrewer since: October, 2010 (1 year)

Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share? Other than the propane tank running empty in the middle of a boil, so far, so good!

What is your favorite style(s) to brew? Tripels, Golden Strongs, and porters

What style(s) will you never brew? I wouldn't say never, but least likely would be american lite lager

What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out? A honey brown extract kit. Came out rather good, drinkable

What is your favorite beer recipe? My own version of a golden strong. Sorry, it's proprietary!  ;) Just kidding. Ask me and I'll give it to you.

Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc? Using a hops bag has made things easier when racking the wort into my fermenter.

Describe your brew system. Mash tun is a red converted cooler (I know, I know, but I only lose 2* in a 90 min mash  ;D) a turkey fryer, a homemade IC, just the basics.

How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)?  As often as I can afford to, usually 2x a month. I've done 20 brews in the first year

What is your favorite malt?  Why? Belgian 2-row or pale malt, because that's what I put in my favorite style of beer.

What is your favorite hop? Why? I really like the Tettnang hops, love the aroma they give, and Styrian Goldings have a flavor I like. I'm not really a hop lover, so IPA's are not among my faves...

Do you have a favorite or house yeast? What qualities do you like about that yeast? I like the Wyeast 1388 for my Belgians, I like the fruity flavor it imparts in my golden strongs. I also like the 1056 for my porter and amber ales.

If you could serve your homebrew to someone famous, who would it be and what would you give her/him? Thomas Jefferson, and probably an amber ale. Or Joe Sakic, my golden strong.

What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew? I inverted some turbinado sugar in a tripel, just to experiment. Haven't tried anything exotic yet.

Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients? I had 2 cats, Guiness (rip)  and Murphy.

How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions? Have yet to enter a comp, but I took some of my golden strong to a club meeting, which was at a new brewery that had just opened up. The head brewer tried mine, came back for more, and at the end of the night, told me that my beer was the best he'd tried that night. I went home with a much bigger ego!

Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with? Usually alone, though my 13 y/o son likes to pitch in.

Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer? Outdoor. If I fired up the turkey fryer on the carpet, my lady would likely shoot me.

List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite? Tattooed Grin Tripel, Good God Golden Strong, Absolutely Amazing Amber Ale.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 05:51:03 AM by theantipunk »
Member, AHA
Member, Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak
BJCP judge# D1248
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Ben, aka "theantipunk"
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 04:53:41 AM »
So what are you doing to combat punk in CO?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Re: Ben, aka "theantipunk"
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 06:41:52 PM »
Another fellow bass player on board. Welcome to our obsession.  8)

Ron Price