Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many people use hop bags?  (Read 14730 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
Re: How many people use hop bags?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 05:31:36 pm »
False bottom in the brew kettle, so no bag.

Nylon bag goes around the racking cane to filter out the hops when dry hops are in a carboy.

Hops go in a nylon bag if keg hops are used.

This is my SOP as well(large self fabbed hop strainer in BK).
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline rightasrain

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 05:56:27 pm »
I use a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer for everything but a FWH addition.  Works great -- minimal mess.

I really want to try a paint strainer. I used to always use hops bags and I just tried a brew without a bag to see if I noticed the difference. There was a lot more mess that made it into the primary. I'll try and remember to get back to this post in about a month when its done and give my opinion then.
"Rogues are willing to shun titles and personal financial success in the  pursuit of the greater good.
Rogues pursue the long shot.
Rogues have respect for diversity.
Rogues work hard.
Rogues are driven to succeed in their chosen field.
Rogues are honest with themselves and others.
Rogues are rebels."
- www.rogue.com

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 06:09:22 pm »
If I'm using more than 3 oz. of hops in the boil, I'll bag the early hop additions.  I ferment in a 10 gallon corny keg and transfer under CO2 pressure through the liquid out dip tube to the serving keg - having less hop material in the fermentor makes that transfer a much smoother process.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 11:39:50 am »
I use a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer for everything but a FWH addition.  Works great -- minimal mess.

I like this idea, but it seems like it would be somewhat difficult to use with an immersion chiller.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 08:56:46 pm »
I just brewed a beer today that had 4.5 oz of pellets. I didn't use any containment (bags, etc...) for the hops. I did use a Blichmann hop blocker and it works great. I was able to keep about 90% of the hop pellets in the kettle after racking into the fermenter. This was the first time I had actually tried using the hop blocker as a strainer. There was also a considerable amount of trub left behind as well. I am impressed!
Ron Price

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 09:01:15 pm »
I use them for pellets but not for whole hops.  The whole hops provide a nice filtering function when I'm running my wort off into the fermenter.  The pellet sludge just gums up the works.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 08:45:46 am »
No hop bag. I have a weldless ball valve with a stainless braid the goes around the edge of the kettle.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 09:14:10 am »
I use a hop sack because if I don't I keep finding all my hops on the side of my kettle just above the boil.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 09:26:43 am »

I like this idea, but it seems like it would be somewhat difficult to use with an immersion chiller.

use this: http://www.bayareamashers.org/gadgets/Hop%20bag%20holder.pdf

and then with an oven mitt, you can lift the hops out and sneak the IC underneath - takes a little technique, but its doable.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 10:05:41 am »

+1 to this - works great - and a fraction of the cost LHBS will charge for an indentical bag with a drawstring at the top.  It's just elastic on the top, so I either tie it off on the handle of my smaller kettle, or now in my bigger keggle, I use a binder clip to hold the bag fast against the side.  Super easy to just open the single bag, dump in the charge, and close it up again.  The large size gives plenty of room for pellets or flowers to swirl around in the wort, and removing one bag of hop mass at the end of boil is super-convenient.

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 10:07:49 am »

and then with an oven mitt, you can lift the hops out and sneak the IC underneath - takes a little technique, but its doable.

+1   I made a holder similar to this and do just what Blatz recommends.
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 10:33:34 am »

+1   I made a holder similar to this and do just what Blatz recommends.
I've seen those before, and like that idea. Perhaps I'll give it a try sometime.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 11:35:31 am »
I didn't go that far though that design is not new to me. To keep my inventory of equipment down I just clip the bag shut with a small SS clip, which also holds the piece of string that keeps the bag somewhat suspended.

When adding hops I just use tongs to lift the bag to the edge, where the clip holds one side of the bag's opening to the lip of the kettle. I'm then free to stretch the bag wide open with one hand while I dump the hops in. Then it's clipped shut again and released into the wort.

Takes less than 10 seconds to accomplish and my schedule of 60-45-30-15-10-5-1 goes off without a hitch.

I don't insert the IC until flameout. It's already cleaned and sanitized and just plunging it into the wort will drop the temp about 10 degrees. Thusly, no problems with the IC interfering with my hop's exposure to the wort and no contamination either.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 12:04:34 pm »

I wish I had seen this before I started brewing today...this looks like a really good idea.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 12:24:10 pm »
I use a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer for everything but a FWH addition.  Works great -- minimal mess.

It's actually not difficult at all. I secure the bag to the side of my kettle with a SS clip.  When I'm ready to add the chiller, I put the chiller in and gently lift the bag into the center of the chiller coils. Looks like other bag users have some pretty handy methods too.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:26:10 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial