Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 4 Hefeweizens  (Read 3933 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
4 Hefeweizens
« on: January 22, 2010, 06:11:07 am »
1- Schneider Weisse - This one was the best.  Lots of flavor, smooth and creamy, yet refreshing (lots o' bubbles)  More of an amber color than yellow.  The banana and clove really came through, but was not over-powering.

2 - Franziskaner - this one was second.  Very similar to the Schneider in flavor and color, but the flavors were a little less strong and this one was a bit lighter in color.

3 - Ayinger - Not too bad, a lot lighter in color than the other examples and a lot mellower on the esters.  Having a choice I would go with one of the other top two.

4 - Tucher Helles Weisse - Very light yellow color - esters almost nonexistant.  Refreshing, but boring.  I wouldn't bother with this one again.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: 4 Hefeweizens
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 07:06:55 am »
1- Schneider Weisse - This one was the best.  Lots of flavor, smooth and creamy, yet refreshing (lots o' bubbles)  More of an amber color than yellow.  The banana and clove really came through, but was not over-powering.

2 - Franziskaner - this one was second.  Very similar to the Schneider in flavor and color, but the flavors were a little less strong and this one was a bit lighter in color.

3 - Ayinger - Not too bad, a lot lighter in color than the other examples and a lot mellower on the esters.  Having a choice I would go with one of the other top two.

4 - Tucher Helles Weisse - Very light yellow color - esters almost nonexistant.  Refreshing, but boring.  I wouldn't bother with this one again.

I am going to pick up a bottle of Schneider Weisse the next time I can get over to State Line.
Ron Price

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 08:30:29 am »
Hacker-Pschorr makes a really good one too. It can be difficult to get a fresh one though.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 10:45:44 am »
We used to get Maisels out here. I really liked that one in my younger beer drinking days. A bit darker and more caramelly than the others from memory.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 12:00:15 pm »

this one has always seemed to be a lot better on tap than from the bottle for me.  YMMV.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 09:29:42 pm »

this one has always seemed to be a lot better on tap than from the bottle for me.  YMMV.

I hate the green bottles. I cant get over the mental thought of a skunky hefe.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 05:36:32 am »

I hate the green bottles. I cant get over the mental thought of a skunky hefe.

The one I got came in a brown bottle.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim