Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First TIme Kegging Issue  (Read 1812 times)

Offline jack34

• 1st Kit
First TIme Kegging Issue
« on: July 18, 2011, 07:39:21 pm »
I recently kegged a batch for the first time.  This weekend we poured the first pint and towards the end of it, the flow from the tap began to trickle and soon after stopped completely.  Now, I cannot get anything from the keg at all.  Does anyone have a thought on why this may have occurred and what I can do to remedy the situation?
Thank you

Offline darkmorford

• Cellarman
  • Redmond, WA
Re: First TIme Kegging Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 07:44:59 pm »
Sounds like either you've got your gas and beer posts mixed up or your liquid dip tube is plugged. It probably sucked up part of the yeast cake at the bottom of the keg.

Offline jack34

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 08:49:05 am »
yeah, I made sure I was on the right post.  So, if it is clogged, so I just open 'er up and clean it out?  And then when closing it back up, do the CO2 again?
Thank you

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:50:41 am »
you could try increaseing the CO2 preasure to blow it out. If it's only yeast it should come out eventually. did you keg hop or anything?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 08:52:46 am »
If just blowing it out with increased pressure doesn't work then yeah, depressurize and pull the dip tube.  Get the gunk out and re-sanitize it then seal it back up and re-pressurize.  You might need to do that a couple of times depending on what's clogging it up.  You can probably just blow whatever gunk is in there out but a dip tube brush is a cheap and convenient thing to have around.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 09:54:17 am »
I had this problem for the first time last month.  I had a 5 gallon corny with bright beer (so no hops or trub to clog the dip tube), but it wouldn't dispense but a trickle of beer.  Gas side was fine:  full tank with gauges showing correct readings, no leaks, pressure relief valve was vented a few times to confirm gas going in and maintaining pressure.  Had to be a block in the dip tube or the fluid out post since I knew the same cobra tap and QD were working fine on another keg.  It turned out that the dip tube formed such a snug fit inside the post that it rotated during tightening of the fluid out post with the cresent wrench--resulting in the dip tube opening being flush against the metal bottom of the corny keg (and acting like a valve whenever the tap is opened).  The solution was to gently "loosen" the fluid out post just enough to move the dip tube so that fluid could flow again, but no so much that CO2 would escape.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 05:50:50 pm »
If none of the above works, be sure to check the poppit from the inside of the liquid post.  While I've never had it actually clog, I have found a surprising amount of gunk there that I would have thought would cause a clog.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline jack34

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 07:19:42 am »
this is great.  Thank you all for your thoughts.