5 (50%)
No?
0 (0%)
No Shoes Tuffing it out....
1 (10%)
Too weird for Humankind
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Vibrams  (Read 8352 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Re: Vibrams
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 04:34:23 pm »
We were NOT born with shoes...

We weren't born walking/running on concrete either. Like Matt said, chronic foot/leg pain is more likely due to poor technique. To that end, these (or barefoot running) probably help, by eliminating the padding that allows people to get away with heel strikes. But that's nothing you couldn't accomplish in normal shoes with a little training.
I agree concrete is killing me....my feet that is....I been down on medical leave for that exact reason.
 :'(
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 11:01:44 pm »
I love my vibrams!! If I could wear them everywhere I would. They need to make a dress shoe!!

majorvices - If they are hurting your wife's heal she needs to pay attention to her foot strike. She was probably a heal striker in normal sneakers and since they are highly padded it didn't hurt. With vibrams you need to run on the balls of your feet.

These shoes have pretty much taken care of most of my knee pain from running but it took me about a month to get to 4-5 miles in them due to needing to strengthen my feet and calves because of a change in my running mechanics.

Matt
GISBREWMASTER

She's not a heel striker. Just a little plantar pain that she gets. After she switched from running shoes to the 5 fingers a lot of her other foot issues went away. She swears by them now. Personally, I'm not 100% sold on street running in them. I do believe that running shoes try to make your foot more like a hoof and that we were not meant to be hoofed animals. Hence the 5 fingers do make sense on some level. Personally, I'd rather hike or trail run and for that activity the 5 fingers can't be beat. Of course, not all of you have hundreds of miles of trails out your back door - like me. I'm lucky!  ;D

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 11:52:59 pm »
Man I'm starting to get sold on these. Aren't they like $150 or something like that?

Right now I'm back to my Blundstones and taking aspirin.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 07:12:12 am »
Man I'm starting to get sold on these. Aren't they like $150 or something like that?

Right now I'm back to my Blundstones and taking aspirin.

Mine were $100 with taxes...you can order some from the website for like $85 but then pay shipping...meh...
Question, how much you gonna pay the doctor to get yourself out of pain ....I found the surgery for PF is
NOT always that successful 65/35% and if it is a fail you are Effed up for the rest of yer life...
I even had stem cell injection to avoid surgery...and I may have another... :-\

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 08:51:25 am »
I saw them on sale at Mountain Gear this weekend.

How are they for arch support?  That seems to be my problem at the moment.

But seriously, I don't think I would be caught dead with those things on my feet.
Although I can remember folks laughing at me when I bought my first pair of Tevas back in '88. ;)

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 09:17:15 am »

But seriously, I don't think I would be caught dead with those things on my feet.
Although I can remember folks laughing at me when I bought my first pair of Tevas back in '88. ;)
When I have them on, it reminds me of when Phys. Therapist taped my fascia...so yes
there is some support.  It really is like going barefoot with good calouses built up....

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 09:29:36 am »
cool conversation guys - I've been on the fence about getting them, but my Asics are wearing out now, and I think I may go try these on based on the good reviews.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 09:58:34 am »
cool conversation guys - I've been on the fence about getting them, but my Asics are wearing out now, and I think I may go try these on based on the good reviews.
Down side may be persperation and the associated funk that goes along.  FWIW care seems to be wash and drip dry so
if funkiness is an issue seems easy enough to deal with.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 11:58:39 am »
Think the KSO's are available for $75 in my area. My colleague got the KSO Trek for lots more- maybe $125. He's a runner though. I'm not. 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gisbrewmaster

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 02:28:49 pm »

When I have them on, it reminds me of when Phys. Therapist taped my fascia...so yes
there is some support.  It really is like going barefoot with good calouses built up....

I don't have arch problems but I believe and I think read on their site that there is no arch support. They are basically like running barefoot with a mm of rubber to protect your feet

Also I am not a doctor or running mechanics expert but from what I read arch issues when running are partly due to shoes so even though there isn't arch support the way your will learn to run with them may not cause any arch problms.

Just my thoughts,

Matt
GISBREWMASTER

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 10:47:10 pm »
Think the KSO's are available for $75 in my area. My colleague got the KSO Trek for lots more- maybe $125. He's a runner though. I'm not. 8)
Yeah, that I thought was a good name...KSO = Keep Stuff Out....rocks, sticks, NOT cactus and grass burrs and fire ants...tho

I wanna see a pic of Weeze in a pair of vibrams with his utilikilt .....OMG
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:06:24 pm by 1vertical »

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 01:30:39 am »
I ran 6 miles in them once at a 10 mile per min. pace...

Holy crap! I gotta get me some of these shoes!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 06:05:55 am »
I ran 6 miles in them once at a 10 mile per min. pace...

Holy crap! I gotta get me some of these shoes!

Bwahaha! Too funny. I wish! But meant to say 10 min. per mile pace.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:42:14 am by majorvices »

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 09:15:06 am »
Aw, I totally missed that too!  Funny!

Alright, play with this idea....what if...now just what if!  ...  you wore the vibrams inside of your regular shoes?  Would that be, like, the best of both worlds?

I don't know about all this, the marathon runners from Kenya don't seem to have too many problems...and can I get vibrams that are cleat compatible for my bike?

So y'all like to use the excuse that we're not born with shoes on our feet!  Oh my!  We're not born with clothes on either.  I'd really not like to step on jagged glass or a nail with these suckers on...how much further that nail will go into your foot...yeesh.
Jesse

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 09:51:44 am »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281