5 (50%)
No?
0 (0%)
No Shoes Tuffing it out....
1 (10%)
Too weird for Humankind
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Vibrams  (Read 8281 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Vibrams
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 10:19:07 am »
Aw, I totally missed that too!  Funny!

Alright, play with this idea....what if...now just what if!  ...  you wore the vibrams inside of your regular shoes?  Would that be, like, the best of both worlds?

I have worn mine inside a spare pair of wet boots at the brewery. But, as far as wearing them inside a shoe - that would de-feet the purpose.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 03:50:51 pm »
Aw, I totally missed that too!  Funny!

Alright, play with this idea....what if...now just what if!  ...  you wore the vibrams inside of your regular shoes?  Would that be, like, the best of both worlds?

I have worn mine inside a spare pair of wet boots at the brewery. But, as far as wearing them inside a shoe - that would de-feet the purpose.
I know, I was being sarcastic...
Not into them myself.  They look like gorilla feet.  Are we trying to devolve?
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 04:02:25 pm »
Nope. We are leaving people like you behind.  :P

Seriously, it's not about the way they look. You have to wear them and use them to really understand. Hiking on soft ground they are unbelievable at how well you can control your feet. You can literally dig in with your toes and stabilize your balance. They also have a fairly decent non slip grip.

As far as runners go, there is a movement of runners that have benefitted from barefoot running simply because it helps you to run with a more natural stride, eliminating heal sttrike and subsequent problems. These offer you the benefits of barefoot running with a level of protection.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 08:04:28 pm »
Nope. We are leaving people like you behind.  :P

Seriously, it's not about the way they look. You have to wear them and use them to really understand. Hiking on soft ground they are unbelievable at how well you can control your feet. You can literally dig in with your toes and stabilize your balance. They also have a fairly decent non slip grip.

As far as runners go, there is a movement of runners that have benefitted from barefoot running simply because it helps you to run with a more natural stride, eliminating heal sttrike and subsequent problems. These offer you the benefits of barefoot running with a level of protection.

Fair enough about the vibrams. 
I am well aware of the barefoot running movement.  I used to read about it in my runner's magazines back in 2003 when I ran a lot.  People would run trails (I was mainly into trail running, not road running) barefoot on a regular basis and these people had smooth and soft feet.  You'd think they'd have gross, callused feet, but nope.  It's a strange movement.  I don't think it's for everyone though, as some people have high arches or flat feet and need some kind of support.  Or am I off base on that?
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 06:02:54 am »
I definitely don't think they are for every one.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 06:34:05 pm »
What is the difference between "trekking" and "running"?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 06:57:24 pm »
What is the difference between "trekking" and "running"?
Just me Euge,
If I were going Trekking up Deer Creek Canyon, I would be partly in the water partly in the sand
partly over slippery rocks, and going up the stream bottom .....harsh terrain.

If I were running, maybe a street, a track, a packed earthen trail....like that is just my interpretation.

FWIW, in my short experience, cheet grass and other stickers will prolly penetrate thru the mesh
and poke you.....not the sole, but in between da toes and other such areas....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:59:01 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 05:36:44 pm »
 Sounds pretty cool! Thinking about kicking the tires on these shoes. Are they mainly just for runners, or would a fat such as myself benefit from them as well? I mean, I never run, even if I'mbeing chased. But, I do take the occasional manly stroll through the neighborhood, and do a little hiking in the mountains. And what about ever day wearing, around town and stuff? I am intrigured.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 07:51:18 pm »
Isn't this re-inventing the moccasin, just with modern materials?

Just saying....

Maybe it isn't such a new idea after all.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 06:29:20 am »
Isn't this re-inventing the moccasin, just with modern materials?

Just saying....

Maybe it isn't such a new idea after all.

Not at all. I'ts like being in bare feet but with an extra layer of protection. It's literally a glove for your feet. The fact that you can use your toes is really the point. If you like to go barefoot, you will like the 5 fingers.

I get the fact that moccasins are "non supportive" but there are plenty of shoes out that do that.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 08:10:33 am »
Sounds pretty cool! Thinking about kicking the tires on these shoes. Are they mainly just for runners, or would a fat such as myself benefit from them as well? I mean, I never run, even if I'mbeing chased. But, I do take the occasional manly stroll through the neighborhood, and do a little hiking in the mountains. And what about ever day wearing, around town and stuff? I am intrigured.
If you get a pair put a Pic up of you in your vibrams AND your utilikilt that would wow em all Barry
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2011, 09:09:50 am »

If you like going barefoot you will like the Vibram 5 fingers. Pantless and shoeless?? WIN WIN!!!  ;D