Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Concern about lagering.  (Read 3861 times)

Offline benjammin

• Cellarman
  • Stafford, NY
Concern about lagering.
« on: December 22, 2009, 05:55:23 pm »
This is my first time brewing a lager. I originally was going to just lager it during my secondary fermentation but after I pitched the yeast at 67 degrees I decided that I would lager it at 42-44 degrees for both the first and secondary. I pitched the yeast Saturday night and I've been checking up on it for the past few days and I've noticed that there is only a thin layer of kraeusen. I'm worried that I pitched my yeast at the wrong temperature. Should I add another packet of lager yeast now that its at the correct temperature or just give the present yeast time to work?

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Concern about lagering.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 07:15:58 pm »
wait, you're PRIMARYing at 42-44df?  that's too cold if so, man.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 07:23:12 pm »
+1

What is the beer your making. Your typical lager will be pitched and fermented around 50F.
Ron Price

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:27:56 am »
And not only are you fermenting too cold, you pitched the yeast too warm, IMO.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo_gator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:44:32 am »
What yeast and how much did you pitch when you pitched?
All views expressed in the above post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of any other member of the AHA, BJCP, or home brew community at large.   

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

Offline benjammin

• Cellarman
  • Stafford, NY
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 05:36:30 pm »
So basically I did everything wrong when it comes to fermenting a lager.

To answer all of your questions:

yes, my primary is at 44df.
it's a dark german style lager recipe that i found in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing.
I used an 11 gram dry lager yeast packet and pitched it at the wrong temp.

what should my next step be to try and fix my errors?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 06:26:34 pm »
Assuming it's a lower to moderate gravity lager 11g of dry yeast would probably be okay but you could rehydrate another pack and pitch it to be on the safe side.  Whether you pitch more or don't get it warmed up to 50 and rouse the yeast.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline benjammin

• Cellarman
  • Stafford, NY
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 08:30:41 pm »
the original gravity reading was 1.060.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 08:56:51 pm »
For a 1.060 lager you should definitely pitch two 11g packs of yeast.  So if it were me I'd warm it up a bit and pitch another pack.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 06:43:02 am »
Here's a good basic primer for making a lager, follow these steps next time and you should have great results.

For lagers you definitely need a large yeast starter and you can't really ferment a lager warm and expect it to taste lagerish - it may very well be a good beer. But not a lager.

Pick up a gallon size juice jug. 2 vials in 3L/3quarts of a  1.040 OG starter wort would not be too much yeast for a 1.050 - 1.060 beer. You need at least a gallon starter with 1 vial. Pitch the yeast and ferment to completion. Cold crash in fridge for a a day or two to drop the yeast.

On brew day, cool your main volume of wort all the way down to about 44-48 degrees - even if it takes several hours (or over night) to cool. Then aerate well (about 2xs as long as you aerate for ales - with pure o2 I go about 3 minutes).  DECANT the spent starter beer from your starter and only pitch the slurry.

Try to keep fermentation temps around 48-50 degrees letting it warm up some near the end to assure complete attenuation. Give yourself at lest 2-3 (even 4-5) weeks fermentation time. Then transfer to secondary and lager at near freezing temps for 2-4+ weeks.

Offline benjammin

• Cellarman
  • Stafford, NY
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 09:36:42 am »
i removed my fermenting beer from the fridge and now its at 51df. the kreausen head is growing and things are stirring in the wort so i think i'll just add one more packet of yeast and hope things work out. thanks a lot for all the input. i knew i joined this forum for a reason. Merry Christmas.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 10:26:07 pm »
i removed my fermenting beer from the fridge and now its at 51df. the kreausen head is growing and things are stirring in the wort so i think i'll just add one more packet of yeast and hope things work out. thanks a lot for all the input. i knew i joined this forum for a reason. Merry Christmas.

Bottom line

You made beer, no shame in that.

I bet it will taste good too  ;D
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline benjammin

• Cellarman
  • Stafford, NY
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 10:14:05 am »
well I took a few gravity readings in the past couple days and im hitting my target final gravity number so im hopeful. i just transferred over to my secondary fermentation for 2 to 3 weeks. ill let you know how it turns out.