General Category > All Grain Brewing

malting your own

(1/5) > >>

morticaixavier:
So, as if brewing by itself isn't enough of an obession I have decided to try malting my own. This is the first step on an eventual growing my own project but it is too late in the year to plant hops and too early to plant barley so I will experiment with malting. The eventuall recipe is based on the Barclay Perkins 1839 XXXX as seen on the 'Shut Up About Barclay Perkins' blog. which is 100% Mild malt. from what I can gather this means a base malt kilned a little higher than normal pale malt for a SRM of around 5-6. I have read up on the process of malting and understand the basics;

soak malt 8 hours on 2 hours off until moisture content is around 35-45%
Germinate till 90-95% of grains are fully modified (acrospire full length of kernel)
Kiln back to 10% moisture.

I am planning to get a food dehidrator for the kilning, unless I discover a way to build a more efficient kiln or the weather gets really hot for a while (not impossible here in northern california) but what I cannot find is the temp to kiln at to reach my desired SRM. I can't just toast after drying cause I need enzymes. The only thing I have found so far is that we are looking at 90-105f for pale malt and 'a little higher' for Mild although the site where I found the ' a little higher' advice had typos so the kilning temp given for pale was 95-105c which is WAY to hot as it would denature the enzymes so I am not trusting that much.

This may be kind of out there but if anyone has advice I would love to here it. I hope to begin this project in mid august.

denny:
Although I haven't tried it, my impression from talking to people who have is that it's not hard to make malt, but it's very hard to make good malt.  You need precise temp and moisture control and a way to measure them.

morticaixavier:
Yeah that's the impression I am getting. Still seems like a really fun project. The moisture content I am not so worried about. Sample wieght before and after and you should be able to get darn close. and seeds WANT to sprout! BUt the temp control on the kilning step I suspect is what will make or break you. I was just reading a blog in which I guy tried it and only managed 35% eff. I suspect he denatured most of his enzymes. My oven only goes as low as 170 so I suspect that route is right out.

on the other hand even organic barley is only about $.50 a pound so if it doesn't work it's not a huge loss money wise. Just gotta find a localish source. I am thinking about contacting a micro maltster in the Reno area to see if they would be willing to share some knowledge and barley.

oscarvan:
Grow your own beer......I applaud you.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: oscarvan on July 18, 2011, 07:29:11 PM ---Grow your own beer......I applaud you.

--- End quote ---

Thanks,

That's part of where the whole home brewing things comes from for me. I mean it's fun! and, after the initial investment... and discounting all the subsequent investment in equipment, saves money. but at it's heart it's about being as close as possible to the moment when the proto-beer is created by nature. Plus it just sounds cool to brew a true estate beer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version